Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Angela Leyba ~ Will 1727



I, Angela de Leyba, finding myself sick in bed with a serious illness declare that this is my last will and testament.

I declare that I was married to Ensign, Xptoval Torres, deceased; from this marriage we had and raised as our children, Diego de Torres, Francisca, Maria, Josefa and Margarita, whom I recognize as my legitimate children and heirs.

I declare that it is my will that my son, Diego de Torres, be my administrator and holder of my property, when I ask for the love of God to be interred in the church of the villa of Santa Cruz, under the altar of our father, St. Francis.

I declare that I do not owe anyone and no one owes me.

I declare that I own ten cows and three two-year old heifers; also, five one-year old; and five calves of the same age, making a total of 23.

I declare that I have one used saddle and one bridle.

I declare that I have two yoke of oxen; one old cart with yokes, straps and chains.

I declare that I have 110 head of sheep and goats.

I declare that I have one horse and one mare.

I declare that I have two plowshares, one adze, one sickle, one chisel and one broken sickle.

I further declare that I have four more plowshares and one small ole hoe.

I declare that I have a ranch in La Cañada and my administrator knows it belong to me.

I declare that I have in the settlement of the Joseph de Grasia de Chama one house composed of one hall, a room and storeroom.

I declare that I have with said house, five pieces of land which my administrator knows of.

I declare that I have 18 varas of sackcloth.

I declare that I have one bed, composed of one mattress, one old sheet, one new blanket, one new spread, two pillows, one of Rouen and one of Campeche cloth.

I declare that I have a new cloak, a new petticoat, one new shawl.

Some coral bracelets.

One new chemise and one old; two pairs of skirts, one new and one used; and some old skirts from Montenegro.

I declare I have a large kettle, one large griddle, one coffee chocolate jar, one copper cup, one copper tumbler, five Puebla plates, six cups, two candlesticks, one iron spit, one iron spoon and silver spoon.

I declare that I have three adzes, two coaling axes and one carpenter’s axe.

I declare that I have two sieves, one white and one black; one old painted chamois skin, and three old chamois sacks.

I declare that I have two large chests with their locks and keys; two small ones, one with key the other without.

I declare that I have two mattocks, one large and one small, and four spades.

I declare that I have one large table and two old benches.

I declare that I have five pairs of knitting needles; one padlock, with staples, nails and key.

I declare that I have one bronze crucifix, one statue of Our Lady of Remedios, nine pictures of different kinds.

I declare that I have two varas of Rouen linen; one vara of Brittany linen.

I declare that Joseph Truxillo owes me eight varas of sackcloth for the wool which I gave him to weave on shares.

I declare that I have one sow.

I declare that there are owing to my husband a number of pesos at Palacios; my administrator shall dispose of them.

I declare that Bartolo Truxillo owes me one sheet, I order it collected.

I declare that I have a cupping glass.

I declare that I have three Brittany linen handkerchiefs. 

At the request of Angela de Leyba.

Signed Cayetano de Atencio, rubric. [not dated but about April 1, 1727]

Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Twitchell 943, Reel 9, Frames 169-209
©Henrietta M. Christmas  

No comments:

Post a Comment