Friday, January 18, 2013

Antonio Godines ~ Will 1713


I, Antonio Godines, citizen of Santa Fe, native of the city of Mexico, legitimate son of don Francisco Godines and doña Josefa de Estrada, being ill in bed, do make my will.

I declare that I owe to don Juan de Vasoco, citizen and merchant of the Real Minas of San Jose del Parral, approximately 370 pesos, for which I have made a note in his favor and because I have no goods with which to be able to give him in said amount, I ask and pray of my executors that they write him that he forgive me.

I declare that I owe to Francisco Minjares, likewise a citizen of the said Parral, approximately 300 pesos, of which I charge and request my executors that they write him that he forgive me; because I have no good with which to give satisfaction and pay said amount.

I declare that I owe to Captain don Jose de Vegoacio, approximately 403 pesos, I likewise ask that he be written the he forgive me.

I declare that I owe to Tomas Pelegrino, citizen of Chihuahua, one horse and one mule; I ask that they write him and that he forgive me.

I declare that I owe to Lorenzo de Aguirre, citizen of Parral, 124 pesos; I ask that he be written and he forgive me.

I owe to doña Rosa de Salazar, citizen of the Real de Nacosare in the Province of Sonora, 70 pesos, I ask that she forgive me.

I declare that I owe to don Francisco Sanchez de Tagle, now deceased, 1050 pesos and of those I have satisfied 700 and some odd pesos, according to General don Antonio de Valverde y Cosio, has given me reason, who made a seizure of my goods by virtue of an order from the said don Francisco Sanchez de Tagle and the remaining amount, it shall be written by my executors to the widow, that because I have no affects from which to satisfy her, that she forgive me.

I declare that I owe to the Honorable Governor don Juan Ignacio Flores Mogollon, 52 pesos, which shall be paid out of my goods.

I declare that Jose Romero, the bricklayer, resident of El Paso, owes me 12 pesos, I order them to be collected.

I declare that Francisco, the slave of the General, owes me 12 pesos, the balance due for a pattern of satin underskirt which I sold him and I order this collected.

I declare that Juan de Quejadas, resident of El Paso, owes me 151 ½, which I gave him in log wood and other things, I order that they be collected.

I declare that Nicolas Garcia, resident of El Paso, owes me 6 pesos, I order they be collected.

Captain, Bartolome Lobato, resident of La Cañada owes me 14 pesos, I order them collected.

Sebastian Martin owes me 3 pesos, I order it be collected.

Jose Lujan, resident of Rio Arriva, owes me 6 pesos, I order it be collected.

I declare that I owe to Captain Ignacio de Roybal, whatever he considers right for his book of accounts, which shall be paid out of the debts mentioned above.

I declare that Juan Garcia, the lame man, owes me a cart load of wood and a pair of stockings, I order they be collected.

I declare that I have no goods whatsoever that belong to me, because this house I declare belongs to my wife, doña Maria Dominguez de Mendoza and two rooms that overlook the patio, I have sold to Pedro de Montes de Oca and a piece of ground which is back of the house to don Jose Manuel Giltomey to the place where it meets his land, and I have not made him a deed.

I declare that I owe to Alejo Martin, resident of La Cañada, two fanegas of corn, I order they be paid.

I declare that I was married to doña Mariana de Villa Visensio and during the time of our marriage we had as legitimate children:  Maria Luisa de Godines who is now married in this villa to Antonio Tafoya; Manuela and Jose Antonio de Godines, who are living and making their living in the city of Mexico, whom I declare as my legitimate children of this marriage.

I declare that I have been married a second time to doña Maria Dominguez de Mendoza, and during out marriage we had no children.

I declare that I owe to Captain Francisco Casados 10 pesos, I order they be paid.

I name as my executors, Captain Juan Garcia de las Rivas and Miguel de Dios Martinez de Sandoval, my dear nephews, whom I request, charge and entreat that they fulfill this will. 

Signed april 19, 1713 by request, Alfonso Rael de Aguilar (rubric), Witness, Pedro de Rojas (rubric), Juan Paes Hurtado, Receiver’s Judge (rubric), Jose Manuel Giltomey, witness (rubric).

References:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Frames 612-615, Twitchell #305.
©Henrietta M. Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment