Thursday, March 1, 2012

Francisco Xavier Rodriguez, 1764, Santa Fe, Will

I, Francisco Xavier Rodriguez, a soldier of this royal garrison of the villa of Santa Fe, being sick in bed with an illness, order this will to be made. I am of sound judgment and mind.

I, ask that my body be shrouded in the habit of St. Francis and that I be buried in the parochial church of this villa.

I, declare that I was married to Manuela Nieto, we had six children.

I, declare as my property the house of my residence, which has three rooms and it is my will that the house and furniture by the property of my wife and children.

I, declare two parcels of land, and should be divided equally amongst my wife and children.

I, have four small bulls, three heifers and one small burro.

I, have five horses.

I, have a rifle, leather jacket, lance, blunderbuss, powder bag, cartridge belt, saddle and stirrups, and equipment: spurs, spade, and shoulder belt.

I owe Miguel Romero, a resident of Cieneguilla, three heifers and one young bull.

I owe the vicar Santiago Roibal, 16 pesos.

I owe Salvador Martin five pesos.

I, declare that Ygnacio "el Guadalajara" one horse.

I, name as my executors my wife and my son, Joseph Rael.

Signed 1st Dec 1764, in the presence of don Thomas Madrid, Lt.

Thomas Madrid, Joseph Mares, Joseph Maldonado

Reference: Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Twitchell #779.

© Henrietta M. Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment