Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Miguel Romero ~ Will 1771



Be it publicly known to all who may see this will that I, Miguel Romero, legitimate son of Antonio Romero and Nicolasa del Castillo, natives of New Mexico, and resident of the town of Our Lady of Guadalupe and parishioners of San Buenaventura de Cochiti, am sick in bed and make this testament in the following manner.

I declare to have been married to Rosa Montoya during which marriage we had as our legitimate children:  Monica, Teodora, Juana Paula, Antonia de la Caridad, and Antonio Valentin all Romero.  Said five children I leave as my legitimate heirs of the share of my property which may belong to me, after having taken out the fifth part of said property for the payment of the funeral, masses and debts which I may have, and if anything is left to be returned to the Capital that may be divided between my wife and children in equal shares as they are the legitimate heirs.

I declare that I have a portion of land containing 510 varas from east to west at the place of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Cañada de Cochiti, although the land only contains 175 varas from east to west where my house is situated; said house contains five rooms and a porch.

I also declare that at La Cieneguilla, 200 varas of land from north to south and a house containing four rooms and a porch.

At las Huertas a portion of 500 varas of land from east to west.  For the said lands I have no instrument, but a note which was made by the chief Alcalde and Lt General, don Felipe Tafoya by request of Miguel Duran, that by it, the instruments of the said land should be made by Lt. Jose Garcia who was the vendor of said lands.

I also declare to have my apparel of war, containing a gun with its cover, blunderbuss, sword, lance, a leather jacket, should belt, broad sword, ammunition purse for one and a half pounds of powder, a shield, saddle cushions cuirass, saddle pommel, buttress, bridle and spurs.

I declare to have four second hand hoes, one ax, and an adze, one loom complete with tools and comb for blankets and sheeting, one pair of second hand cards, one complete spinning wheel.

I declare to have for commerce at my house, 117 large buckskins, 50 small ones and 30 smaller size; one piece of woolen cloth; one piece of fine scarlet cloth for a lapel; sixteen knives at my house; ten yards of linen; ten knives in possession of Jose Chinago; ten with Nicolas, Indian of the town of Cochiti; nine with Jose Tegua of the same place; twelve with Antonio, one with Che; four at the hose of Lorenzo from Zia; ten with Gallego from San Felipe; 82 varas of carpet; 51 breeding mares; four stud horses; one stud jack; 17 broken horses; four broken mares; nine mules; six pack-mules; three saddle mules; 27 breeding cows; 17 broken bulls; 11 two-year old and 13 one-year old bulls.

I also declare that I have to receive this present year of 1771, on the 4th of October 60 head of cattle from 2-6 year old bulls.

I declare that as the amount mentioned in the instrument made in my favor contains much more, the remainder belongs to my brother, Domingo Romero, whom I give power to compel Diego Romero to the fulfillment of said instrument, as I place my confidence in my said brother.

I declare that I have given al partido of 20 cows and 3 bulls which I have yet to deliver; four cows and calves on this year of 71.  I order this to be done and when done, to request the instrument and security of said cows, according to our agreement and at the expiration of five years will have to deliver 40 cows from 2-6 year old and in said increase, five bulls of the same age.  Said contract is made with my compadre Antonio Gallegos.

I declare that the alcalde mayor, don Bartolome Fernandez owes me 89 pesos and six reales in silver, money loaned.  Besides he owes me 50 buckskins of two pesos each; Alejandro Tenorio owes me 50 pesos in silver; Diego Romero, 30 buckskins – 20 large and ten medium size.  My compadre, Antonio Lucero, owes me 47 buckskins; Bernabe Gallegos, 19 buckskins – nine large ones which he promised to pay for one of his servants and the for his own account; Julian Vigil owes me 12 large buckskins; Casimiro Trujillo, three large buckskins and three pairs of stockings; Miguel Apodaca two large buckskins; Miguel Montoya, nine buckskins and seven pairs of black stockings; Manuel Gallegos two black blankets; Sebastian Lucero, two buckskins, one large and a small one; Marcos Archuleta 13 large buckskins and one broken mare mule in good condition; Jose Antonio Samora, five large buckskins and two pairs of stockings; Ysidor Maes, one large buckskin; Antonio Jose Jaramillo three large buckskins and four one-year old wethers; Joaquin Romero five large buckskins and two pairs of stockings; Juan Antonio Rael nine large buckskins; Manuel Garviso three buckskins; Nerio Antonio Montoya, six large buckskins; Francisco Aragon, four buckskins at two pesos each; Santiago Trujillo three pesos in silver; Manuel Bernardo Gallegos, one large buckskin and a gunny-sack; Vicente Sena, four pieces in blankets or stockings; Jose Garcia, five large buckskins; Basildo, and Indian from Santo Domingo seven buckskins; his mother-in-law nine large buckskins; Lorenzo, from Zia and those of his house owe me 14 buckskins at two pesos each – seven small ones and two blankets; Melchor from Santa Ana, one large and one small buckskin and a three-year old bull; Gallegos, Indian from San Felipe, three large buckskins; Miguelito, Indian from Santo Domingo, one large buckskin; Lucas from the same place, two buckskins at two pesos each. Baltasar, Indian from Cochiti, two buckskins; Jose Tegua from Cochiti, twelve buckskins with the understanding that he has to pay this year and four the next; Che, the Indian, owes me eleven large buckskins; Antonio, son of Che, four large and two small buckskins; Sambrano, the Indian three large and a small buckskin; Antonio Gallegos, two large buckskins; Jose Antonio Lucero, one buckskin of two pesos; Calletano Lorenzo Montano, one large buckskin of two pesos; my comadre, Geronima, one pair of stockings; the Chief Alcalde, don Bartolome Fernandez, three cows with calves; Manuel Felipe Varela, a cow and a calf; Vicente, the Indian from Cochiti, a cow and a calf; Jose Garcia a cow without calf; Santiago Sais, one mare in good condition; Joaquin de Luna, a three year old bull; Miguel Apodaca, a cow and a calf; Jose Antonio Lopez, two mares and two horses, mules of good size and condition broken with the rest ant the current prices of the lands;  Anastacio Garcia, a mare and horse mule and their rent at the current prices of the land; Juan Jose Padilla, the freight of four pounds of iron, and the balance in goods; Manuel Bernardo Gallegos one broken mare and horse mule and three complete packsaddles; Jose Manuel Silva, 200 picked fleeces of wool and 5 ½ varas of fine linen.  In failure of the payment of the linen, he is bound to pay at the rate of 1 ½ peso per vara, which will amount to 7 ½ pesos; rom My uncle, Juan Bautista Vigil owes me four pesos in silver; Juan Bautista Mestas An large buckskin; Diego Naranjo, four large buckskins; Bernardo Sanches, ten pesos in goods or stockings; Antonio Maes, a breeding mare; Bartolo Padilla a cow and a calf and a two-year old heifer; Juan Jose Padilla, a cow and calf; Sebastian Lucero, four pairs of stockings; Gervasio, Indian from Cochiti, one fat ox for the month of October; Basilio from Santo Domingo, one cart of corn to be paid now; Jose the Indian, one small buckskin; Juan Santisteban, one pair of stockings; Ramon Gallegos a two pesos buckskin.  I acknowledge to be true that I owe to Maria Rosa Paes a cow with a calf, and a wether; to Joaquin de Luna a wether; I order Antonio Martin to pay it.  I owe to a poor orphan four cows and calves; these I order and request be delivered to my brother, Domingo Romero, that he may keep them without security but keep them by my request until she may die; to Toribio Ortiz, I owe one cow; To Rev. Father Francisco Javier de Avila nine varas of sackcloth to my nephew, Jose Chaves, 15 head of cattle, six cows, six bulls and three calves, which I have not secured, but have given them to Antonio Gallegos – these I order and request to be delivered in good condition in which they maybe, I have in my possession from my mother seven breeding cows, six bulls and three calves, without any security, these will be delivered to whom she pleases, also declare that I have a cloth cloak from Castilla, one jacket of fine scarlet cloth, two scarlet cloth lapels, one pair of woolen pants garnished, two hats, one black and a white, one pair of buckskin pants, a linen lapel, three shirts, two pairs of drawers, one pair of shoes and a pair of boots.

I name as my executors my wife Rosa Montoya as first and Domingo Romero, my brother as second. And appoint as tutor and guardian of the property of my minors children and heirs, don Miguel Ortiz, my brother, who may receive the portion belonging to them until they may be married or may become of age.

The alcalde, don Nerio Antonio Montoya, was present to interpose his judicial authority, the testator did not sign and he was not able to; made at Canada de Cochiti on the 3rd day of April 1771. 

Nerio Antonio Montoya, rubric
Wit/ Pedro Antonio Trujillo, rubric
Andres Montoya, rubric

Appointed as appraises were Miguel de la Pena and Antonio Trujillo who inventoried the estate, November 2, 1771.

Schedule of inventory:
Rosa Montoya, $3,328.00
The fifth part, 665.50
Monica Romero, 532.50
Teodora Romero, 532.50
Juana Paula Romero, 532.50
Antonia Romero, 532.50
Antonio Romero, 532.50
Total amount $6,656.00
Amount of Capital $6,657
Balance, 1.00

Twitchell #799

I, Rosa Montoya, who was the wife of Miguel Romero deceased, resident of the Cañada de Cochiti, through this petition and in the best form of the law, appear and say that during said marriage we had and raised five children – Maria, Teodora, Juana Paula, Antonia, Antonio. The appointed Miguel Ortiz, guardian, the children are in my possession and ask that Miguel Ortiz appear before you to state his obligations. I ask that the inventory, four years later, is not what he has as property of my children.

Signed Rosa Montoya and I give notice and say that this is made with the consent of my second husband, Juan Antonio Lujan.

In favor of Rosa Montoya, the inventories are left with Miguel Ortiz but he must account for the increases every year and a new inventory was done for the children.

Reference:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Twitchell 792 & 799, Reel 4 Frames 1246-1267 and Reel 9 Frames 59-103. 
©Henrietta M. Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment