Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Soldier, Francisco Antonio Torres ~ 1826 Will



Know ye all who shall this testament that I, Francisco Antonio Torres, a retired soldier of the National Company of Santa Fe, New Mexico, find myself sick and make this testament in the following manner.

I declare that I was married in first nuptials to Mariana Moya, for nine years, during which time we had two sons.  The first died at the age of two years, five months; the second died at the age of one year and three days.

I declare that I was married a second time to Maria Rosa Lopez, for thirty-three years, more or less.  During this time we had and reared three children who are:  Maria Soledad, who died at the age of one year; the second, Maria Soledad and the third Manuel.

I declare as my property my dwelling house which is composed of four rooms and twenty varas of land contiguous to the house; also one fruit tree, and the patio of the house, in the form of a placita, which belongs to both my children.  Of this said house and land, my daughter, Soledad, cannot acquire her share while her other lives; she has already received her paternal share; and at my wife’s demise, or when my son decides to marry, he will be given the equivalent of what she has received.

I declare as my property a yoke of oxen, a pair of straps, one quirt, one yoke, three reatas.

I declare one axe, one hoe.

I declare as my house furniture one copper kettle; two mattresses; two blankets, two zarapas, one wooden bowl; one chest; another larger chest; a chair; a bridle; one branding iron; five pictures, including of Nuestro Señor de Esquipula in glass.

I declare that I owe don Bartolome Baca eleven pesos and four reales, which must be paid in woven woolen goods, or other effects, as it was so arranged – I order them paid.

I declare that I owe Juan Barranca thirty-pesos in products of the land, which I order paid.

I declare that I owe don Agustin Duran fourteen pesos in coin, or its equivalent, in whatever there may be.  I order he be paid.

I declare that I owe don Juan Garcia three pesos – I order it paid.

Besides, I owe don Pedro Ortiz two pesos – I order they be paid.

Moreover, I owe don Francisco Baca one pesos, I order that these be paid in October a month from this date.

Moreover, I owe Diego Padilla, resident of El Vado, three yards of mauling – I order it paid.

I declare that the deceased soldier, Dionisio Valdez, owes me a fine silk rebozo as shown in the testament of said Valdez – I order that this be collected.

I declare as my property the assets resulting from the respective accounts of my salary.  I order that they be delivered to my wife and heirs.  After my funeral it is my desire that my estate and the salary due me be divided in two equal parts, one for my wife and the other for my children.

I declare as my lawful administrators, first, the Sergeant Jose Salaices from my company and second, my compadre don Ygnacio Lopez and third, don Juan Gallegos, whom I charge for the love of God. To comply and see the fulfillment of this my last will and testament.

Singed at Santa Fe on September 2, 1826.  Francisco Antonio Torres, rubric; Jose Tapia, rubric; wit/ Juan Benabides, rubric and Jose Gallegos, rubric.

Reference:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Twitchell 1204, Reel 6, Frames 651-654.
©Henrietta M. Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment