Sunday, November 23, 2014

Soldier, Andres Ortega ~ Will 1821




Reference:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Twitchell 1212, Reel 6, Frames 705-707.
©Patricia Sanchez Rau


ARCHIVE 1212
Public Survey Office
Date:  October 15, 1821

Will of Andres Ortega, soldier of the Santa Fe Company

In the name of Almighty God, and of the most Blessed Virgin Mary, Our Lady, conceived without the stain of original sin, Amen.

Know all who may see this, my last will and testaments, that I Andres Ortega, soldier of this company of Santa Fe, being sick in bed, but of sound mind, judgment and understanding and will, do make and order this in the following manner:

First: I wish to say that I believe and confess the mystery of the Holy Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, three distinct persons, but only one true God.  I believe in the mystery of the incarnation, and in all that is believed and is taught by our Holy Mother Apostolic, Roman, Catholic Church and in all that a Catholic Christian ought to believe; and in this faith and creed, I want to live and die which my god shall be pleased to call me unto him.  In such case, I commend my soul to the Lord who created it and redeemed it with the infinite price of his most precious blood, and my body to the earth from which it was formed; it is my will that I be shrouded with that which my wife may find and that it be buried at the door of the Military Chapel and that Mass be celebrated on the day of my funeral and after that nine Masses be celebrated.

Item:  I leave one peso in cash to each one of the forcible bequests (mandas forzosas).

Item:  I declare that I was married according to the rites of the church, the first time to Clara Antonia Sandoval for a period of twenty-seven years, during said period we reared eight children, three of whom died in infancy and five are living being Joana, Josefa, Pedro, Antonio, Rosalia and Jose Pablo, which I acknowledge as my legitimate children and heirs.  The second time I was married to Maria de la Luz Jaramillo for four years and entering the fifth, by said marriage we had no children.

Item:  I declare as my chattels, my saddle fully equipped, saddle pads, spurs, bridle, halter, gun, cartridge belt, 15 cartridges, scabbard, shield and one “he” mule.

Item:  I declare as my chattels, one burros, and the sum of one thousand and thirty-nine pesos, balance of account that became due me on the last day of the month of December of the year 1820, and what is due since the month of January of this year, 1821.

Item:  I declare that I have no other property.

Item:  I declare that I am indebted to the priests, don Tomas Terrazas for the sum of ten pesos, to don Manuel Gallegos, sixteen pesos, doña Soledad Olguin for the Lt. don Jose Maria de Arze, twelve pesos, to Antonio Martin, resident of Cienega ten pesos, which I order to be paid.

Item:  I declare that Jose Maldonado owes me one horse, Nasario Martin one horse, my countryman Manuel Lopez two pesos and 2 reales and one pair of heavy shoes, paying him four reales for making the same; Jose Duran formerly in the military service, half fanega of wheat, Viterbo Gonzales, eight pesos, which without my consent he took from my money to pay for his wedding.  I order that all be collected.

Item:  It is my will that if God should call me unto himself from this illness, after paying all my funeral expenses, from what balance is left of my limited property, my wife Maria de la Luz be given five hundred pesos, the burros and the household furniture which I have not included in this will because it belongs to her; and forbid anyone to interfere with it and that the balance be divided equally among my five children with the blessing of God and mine.

Item:  I declare that I have made no other testament, and if one should appear, I declare same to be void, and that this one only be acknowledged as legal

Item: I name as my executors, in the first place, my sergeant Manuel Baca, in the second place, Corporal Francisco Ortiz, whom I requested to sanction the same with his official authority of law. I the said Sergeant, do hereby acknowledge the same with all the authority vested in my by the Señor Governor, don Facundo Melgares to make this testament.  By virtue of which I do hereby acknowledge the same and certify that I know the grantor.

Signed, together with two witnesses who were present, at this city of Santa Fe, on the 16th Day of October, in the year one thousand eight hundred and twenty-one.
            Manuel Baca (Rubric)
Witnesses: Jose Larrañaga (Rubric)
            Ignacio Dominguez (Rubric)

Reference:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Twitchell 1212, Reel 6, Frames 705-707.
©Patricia Sanchez Rau

No comments:

Post a Comment