Saturday, November 8, 2014

Juan Montes Vigil ~ Will & Estate 1762


Reference:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Twitchell 1055, Reel 5, Frames 1292-1313.
©Patricia Sanchez Rau  


ARCHIVE 1055
Public Survey Office
Date:  April 30, 1762

Subject matter:  Will of Juan Montes Vigil, resident of Santa Fe, inventory and partition of his estate, executed before Manuel Gallego, Alcalde.  Appended is a deed of sale for a three-room house and some land sold to Vigil by Juan de Arguello
Year 1762 - No. 843 (Original Number)

Testament, inventory and instrument executed and the end and death of Juan Montes Begil, division and partition of the state among his wife Culasa (Nicolasa) Lujan and his two children Manuel Bejil and Manuel Bejila (sic).  In 10 pages and two blanks.

In the name of God, our Lord, Amen.  Know all those who will see this, my last will and testament, that I Captain don Juan Montes Vigil, legitimate son of the retired Lieutenant don Francisco Montes Vigil, native of the city of Zacatecas, an doña Maria Ximenes de Enciso (both) deceased, say that I, Juan Montes Vegil, finding myself ill in bed, as I am with an illness that God has seen fit to set me; ill in bed, but in my sound mind and natural judgment; believing as I firmly believe, in the mystery of the Holy Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Ghost, three distinct persons, and one only true God, and all the rest that our Holy Mother, the Roman, catholic and Apostolic Church holds, believes and teaches, under which faith and belief I have lived and desire to die and fearing death as a natural thing, taking as my special intercessor and mediator the ever Virgin Mary, the Holy Apostles Saint Peter and Saint Paul, and our father Saint Francis, and all the rest of the saints of the celestial court, my Guardian Angel, and my patron saint, that they may intercede for my soul before God, Our Lord, to pardon my since and to place my soul on the sure path of salvation, I order and execute this, my last will and testament in the following form and manner:

First:  I commend my soul to God, our Lord, who created and redeemed it with his most precious blood and my body to the earth from which it was formed.

Item:  It is my desire that my body shall be shrouded with the habit of my father, Saint Francis, and interred in this parish church with a funeral Mass and vigil, the place of interment I leave to the wishes of my wife.

Item:  I declare that I was married to Ynes Lopez, deceased, in the first marriage for a period of 19 years.  From said marriage we had and raised three (3) children who were Manuela who died at the age of 8 years, Juan, who died at the age of 6 years and Manuel Vigil, who is still living, and whom I declare is my legitimate son by the said my deceased wife, and who is free and married.

Item:  I declared that I celebrated a second nuptial with doña Nicolasa Lujan and we have lived together for a period of 13 years and during said time, we had, and raised one daughter who is living today, named Manuel Begil, whom I declare is my legitimate daughter by my said wife.

Item:  I declare that at the time I contracted my first marriage neither I nor my deceased wife had any chattels.

Item:  I declare that when I contracted my second marriages with my said wife, I placed under her charge some real and person property.

Item:  it is my wish to leave each of the mandatory legacies (mandas forzosas) 4 pesos each, currency of the land, which I separate and segregate from my estate.

Item:  I declare as my property, one house at the entrance of La Calle Real de San Francisco (Royal San Francisco Street) with a portion of land in the front on the south side, and it is bounded by the walls of Captain Bernardo de Bustamante.

Item:  I bequeath the said house and land to my daughter Manuela and in the said house my son Manuel has no share because I have given him a ranch for the share which my son Manuel had in this said house, which said ranch he sold to Jose Miguel de la Peña for 500 pesos; for reason he yielded his share and rights that he had to said house as evident from a document he executed.

p. 3

Item:  I declare as my chattels another small piece of land which I purchased from Bernardino Trujillo, which is located at the back of my house.  It has some small trees which belong to my daughter Manuela and it is my wish to bequeath the land to a female child that I raised named Bartola.

Item:  I declare as my chattels 25 pictures of which I bequeath seven (7) to my son Manuel, seven (7) to my daughter Manuela and 8 to my wife.  I declare that I gave my son Manuel at the time of his marriage, all the pictures that belonged to him.

Item:  I declare 2 trunks, a Michoacan chest, which I declare belong to my wife, Nicolasa, and which I declare to be her property.

Item:  I declare a writing desk and one painted chest which I leave to my daughter Manuela, because I had given my son Manuel two (2) chests.

Item:  I declare that I had given to my son Manuel 1 silver bowl and 8 silver spoons.

Item:  I declare as my chattels –3 copper kettles, the large one I leave to my son Manuel and the next which is a little smaller I leave to my daughter Manuela and the other the larger one to my wife.

Item:  I declare that I have given my son Manuel another copper kettle.

Item:  I declare as my chattels five (5) yellow metal plates, which it is my wish to leave to my daughter Manuela, because I had given my son Manuel seven (7) white ones.

Item:  I declare as my chattels 12 china plates and 3 mugs and 6 soup bowls, which it is my wish to leave to my daughter Manuela and her mother to be divided into equal parts.

Item:  It is my wish that the rest of the household furniture be divided between my wife and my daughter Manuela because I had already given my son his share.

Item:  I declare as my chattels, 20 jugs which I owe to the religious who desire to say Masses for me for my soul.

Item:  I declare as my chattels the saddle, the sword, leather shield, ammunition bags, bridle and stirrups, it is my wish to leave all to my son Manuel.

p.4
Item:  I declare as my property 1000 breeding ewes, it is my wish to leave 100 for 100 Masses, 200 to my wife, 300 to my son Manuel and 300 to my daughter Manuela.

Item:  I declare as my chattels 30 cows that should be delivered to my daughter Manuela, within the period of 5 years, which is evident by a document executed by Martin Gallego, andhe shall complete the agreement without fail, and when the term expires, the said Martin Gallego, shall deliver to my son-in-law, Pedro Ygnacio Sanchez, which he shall receive as his own, to be done before the Alcalde Mayor of this villa.

Item:  I declare that I have now as my chattels 40 head of cattle, more or less, small and large, which it is my wish to be divided into equal parts between my wife and my son Manuel.

Item:  I declare two (2) yoke of oxen and three (3) bull oxen; it is my wish to leave one (1) to pay the church dues and the other 6 to pay the mandatory legacies and any debt which may come to light.

Item:  Antonio Santisteban owes me one (1) ox which I loaned him and of which Martin Gallego is aware; I order this to be collected.

Item:  I declare that Geronimo Martin owes me 14 pesos which I entrusted to him.  I order this to be collected.

Item:  I declare as my property a piece of farm land in Buena Vista with a three-room house; and it is my wish to leave it to my two children and my wife, to be divided in equal parts.

Item:  I declare that I leave a used cloth cape with second lining of lila cloth; one jacket, one fine cloth waistcoat, first grade, and one pair of trousers of fine cloth.

Item:  I declare that I leave my son Manuel, a new jacket lined with blue silk, 1 pair of black plush cloth trousers.  The clothing I leave to pay for my funeral expenses.  (Manuel Gallego (rubric)

p.5
Item:  I declare that don Joseph Moreno delivered to me 300 pesos which he had in his charge and which was the dowry of my daughter-in-law Gertrudis Armijo, and which I received in buckskins at the silver rate; and from this I paid to don Manuel Garbiso, deceased, 80 pesos in silver for a young Indian girl and an Indian boy, each one at 40 pesos.  My son Manuel took the young Indian girl and sold her to Antonio Rico Armijo and the Indian boy I took up to Chihuahua and for him I brought to my son for his wife a hooped skirt and 1 brown horse.  The 220 I delivered in merchandise to my son Manuel, as is evident by a memorandum, prorating the said amount.  I know he took more than the 200 pesos.

Item:  I declare that Ramon Garsia, the soldier owes me 71 wethers (carneros), 50 ewes, and I agreed with him not to collect the rental of wool and increase for this year, as evidenced by the note he executed to the effect that it is true that he owes me.

Item:  He must deliver the 50 ewes to my son, Manuel.

Item:  I declare that with the 71 wethers (carneros) or the value thereof, he shall, as soon as I die, pay for the Masses for the repose of my soul.

Item:  I declare that Ignacio Jaramillo has the 600 ewes belonging to my wife and daughter, on shares and must deliver each your 130 wethers (carneros) and 130 vellones (wool from one sheep) of wool.

Item:  I declare that I bequeath to my son Manuel to 300 ewes which Geronimo Jaramillo has, along with the profits and increase.

Item:  I appoint and assign as my administrators and keepers of my estate, in the first place, my wife, Antonia Nicolasa Lujan; in the second place, I ask and request my compadre Bernardino de Sena, to be my second administrator, and I declare as of no value or effect any other testament, power of attorney, memorandum or codicil, that may have been made or executed before this either by power of attorney or word of mouth, which I annul and revoke and declare as of no value nor effect; and it is my wish that only this testament be firm, permanent and valid and not any other for the valid and firmness of which I requested Señor don Manuel Gallego, Alcalde Mayor of this villa, to be present and to interpose his authority and judicial sanction.  I, the said Alcalde Mayor, certify insofar as I can, that I know the Señor grantor and that he is in his sound mind and natural judgment, and in bed with a serious illness.  I was present in his residential house and he executed this testament in the form and manner stated; and in evidence thereof I so authorized and signed it, acting as Receiving Judge with the assisting witnesses, in the absence of a royal or public scribe, of which there is none in this kingdom; written on the present paper because the sealed is not current in these parts.

Written in this villa of Santa Fe, on the 30 day of April, in the year seventeen hundred sixty-two (1762).  The grantor did not sign because he said he did not know how.  I, the said Alcalde Mayor, signed it with the witnesses; to all of which I attest.  Executed before me, Manuel Gallego.

Item:  I declare that I loaned don Juan Gabaldon, 2 male mules for this trip which he kept in Sonora for three years, and he brought me two horses, and because he was my very good friend, I did not collect the corresponding rental for the 3 years, and now he demands one horse from me that he loaned me; to which I say, let him pay me what corresponds to said rental, then I will pay that which he demands.

Executed before me, the said Alcalde mayor, Manuel Gallego. 
Witness:  Lucas Moya, witness, Bisente Armijo, witness, Tomas Casillas, the said Alcalde Mayor, signed with the said witnesses, on said day, month and year, I certify.
Manuel Gallego, (Rubric)
Jues Receptor

Witness:  Tomas Casillas (Rubric)
Witness:  Lucas Moya (Rubric)
Witness:  Vicente Armijo (Rubric)

p.7
On the eighteenth day of May, one thousand seven hundred sixty-two, I, Fray Joseph Sta Cruz y Polanco, minister of those who belong to the Third Order of Saint Francis of this Villa of Santa Fe, state that Juan Vegil, a resident of said villa, made a last will and made a statement to me, said in the privacy of  confession, but after his death the things were refused me when said Juan Vigil declared (were to be given) to me for the payment of some debts which he had owed to persons already deceased, for which he was making amends in Masses, and was paying for them with 5 jugs of wine, 1 length of green serge and anther of scarlet cloth, which he told me he was leaving it in my care and on my conscience.  Now, as they are denying that said deceased had declared these things for me, and are saying that he repudiated it before he died.  I entreat your Excellency to issue an order that said things be paid in their own kind or in their equivalent in order that I may ease my conscience and that they may serve for the repose of his soul.  Expecting that the benignity of your Excellency will see fit to do justice in this matter, I present this request on this the 18 day of May, 1762 and I sign it.

                                                                        Fray Joseph Antonio Sta Cruz y Polanco

Santa Fe, May 18, 1762
In view of the above petition, presented by the Reverend Father Fay Joseph Antonio Santa Cruz y Polanco, minister of the Third Order of St. Francis, the Alcalde Mayor of this villa shall immediately proceed to take inventory of the property which Juan Montes Vigil left at his death in the terms provided according to the law for his protection and shall ascertain if the good mentioned by the aforesaid religious exist, so as to segregate them and deliver them for the purpose mentioned.  In case they have been concealed, he shall proceed to demand from the chattels found those corresponding in value to the jugs of wine, scarlet cloth and the serge patterns according to the prevailing prices in this kingdom.  I so decree, order and sign, Tomas Velez Cachupin Governor and Captain General of this Kingdom of New Mexico, with two of my assisting witnesses, in the absence of public or royal notaries of which there is none in this kingdom.
                                    Velez Cachupin (Rubric)
Witness:  Manuel Anto Lorenz (Rubric)
Witness:  Mateo de Penarredonda (Rubric)

p.8
In the Villa of Santa Fe, capital of New Mexico, on the 19th day of May, in the year seventeen hundred sixty-two, I Manuel Gallego, Alcalde Mayor and Captain of War of this said Villa and its jurisdiction, in compliance with the order issued by the Señor Governor and Captain General of this Kingdom, don Tomas Velez Cachupin, proceeded to the residential house of Nicolasa Lujan, widow of Captain Juan Montes Vigil, where I at once placed into execution the superior order proceeding to take the inventory with my assisting witnesses and two appraisers, and they (the chattels) are as follows:

First:  A house, the former residence of the deceased which consists of 10 rooms and a corral surrounded by an adobe wall and gate.
Item:  A piece of fenced land front of the said house.
Item:  Another piece of land at the back of said house, with small trees     



   572 p.
The house and lands in front are valued at 572 p. and the lands valued at                
     30 p.
Item:  22 pictures 17 of them are 3 cuartas high and 5 are ½ a vara at 8 p. each            
     76 p.
Item:  2 Michoacan trunks at 40 p.
     40 p.
Item:  1 Michoacan trunk at 10 p
     10 p.
Item:  1 Michoacan writing desk with three drawers with its table of the same;  it                                                                                                                  
was valued, because of its fine painting, good locks and fine gold at 80 p.
 
     80 p.
Item: Another Michoacan chest at 10 p.
     10 p
Item:  5 kettles, 1 very large and very old and mended 3p. The medium sized is 10 p. and the small one at 2 p. because it is mended.

     15 p.
Page 9

Item:  5 metal plates from China, well treated which weighed 4 pounds at 32 p. currency of the land

     32 p.
Item:  9 china plates at13p. and 4 reales each
     13 p. 4 r.
Item:  5 soup bowls at 1 peso                                                                                                             
        5 p.
Item:  8 small china cups at 1 p.
        8 p.
Item:  2 metal candlesticks at
        4 p.
Item: 12 chairs from Pecos, very old and badly handled at 4 r. each
        6 p.
Item:  4 benches at 2
        8 p.
Item:  2 tables, 1 large, 1 small at 3 p.
        3 p.
Item: 12 empty jugs and a broken one and 8 broken and useless which were not appraised at 24 p.

       24 p.
Item:  1 old riding saddle badly handled; 1 mule bridle without side bars; some very old stirrup straps with holds, some small ordinary spurs, all appraised at 15 p.  Very old strap stirrups with hole; some small ordinary spurs; all appraised at 15p. 

      15 p.
Item:  An old and broken small sword, powder bags and a leather shield were valued at 8 pesos 4 reales. Valued at 8 pesos, 4 reales.
        8 p. (sic)
Item:  900 ewes at 2 p.
1,800 p.
Item:  25 head of cattle, all breeding cows and given in shares to Martin Gallegos
    500p.
  Brought forward
3,259 p. 4 r.
Item:  3 oxen, 1 bull ox, 1 strayed
      40p.
Item:  1 Castilian cloth jacket at 8 p. and one pair black plush trousers a 4p.
      12 p.
Item:  3 unbroken male mules at
      90 p.
Item:  1 length green serge with ¾ (of a length) of mitan and seda (linen & silk)
      28 p.
Item:  1 Villalta blanket
        4 p.
Item:  Another old desk with drawers, painted valued at 8 p.
        8 p.
Item:  2 old white chests with locks at
        4 p.
Item:  2 small Michoacan chests without locks
        3 p.
Item:  1 high bedstead and 1 cupboard, all old.
        4 p.
Item:  4 arendales at
        4 p.
Item:  1 iron griddle and 1 grinding stone at 3 p.
        3 p.
Item : 1 old bedspread at 8 pesos and 1 mattress linen with canvas at 2 pesos
        2 p.
Item:  For 6 lapels of Terlinga very old
        4 p.
3 pairs of white trousers and 2 very old shirts at 2 p.
        3 p.
4 caps and 1 handkerchief all very old
             6 r
Item:  28 head of cattle, large and small, in charge of Martin Gallegos; one was lost leaving 27; 4 with this year’s calves; six (6)  two year old heifers, six (6) 2 two-year old  bulls and 11 breeding cattle, all amount to 464 p.


     464 p.
Item:  1 ranch with a three-room house and cultivated land located in Buena Vista which belonged to Juan de Arguello, it was appraised at its cost

     330 p.
All amount to 4272 pesos, 6 reales barring errors
  4,272p. 6 r.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
All the aforementioned property was exhibited by Nicolasa Lujan, widow of the deceased Juan Montes Vigil, in the presence of her daughter Manuela de la Luz Vigil, and her husband (not named), who were present at all the proceedings, in my presence with my assisting witnesses and appraisers.  The oath that the appraisers made to perform their duty faithfully and legally, as required having preceded, I saw and examined the said chattels and they were appraised.  It being twelve o’clock, these proceedings were suspended until the 21st day the twentieth being a holiday; and in evidence thereof, it was all set down as a judicial proceeding which the appraisers signed with me and the assisting witnesses, with whom I acted as Jues Receptor in the absence of public or royal scribes of which there is none in this kingdom, all of which I certify.  Note:  between the lines- the words all and 8 p. are valid).
Manuel Gallego (Rubric)
At the request of Pedro Rendon, Appraiser,
Lucas Moya (Rubric)
At the request of Nicolasa Lujan
Tomas Casillas (Rubric)
At the request of Maria Manuela de la Luz Montes Vigil
Lucas Moya (Rubric)
Witness:  Berndo de Miera y Pacheco (Rubric)

In this Villa of Santa Fe, on the twenty first day of the month of May, in the year seventeen hundred sixty one (sic) I don Manuel Gallegos, Alcalde Mayor and Captain of War of this said villa, in prosecution of the order of the supreme government for the continuation of the inventories of the chattels left at the time of his death by don Juan Montes Vegil, being in the dwelling house which belonged to the said deceased, I caused Nicolasa Luxan, widow of the deceased to appear before me, from whom I took her oath, which was made in the name of God our Lord and by the sign of the holy cross, under which she promised to tell the truth regarding all questions asked, and to exhibit faithfully and legally all the property of the said deceased, without concealing anything, in the presents of the said Manuela de la Luz Vigil, her daughter and the daughter of said deceased, and the assisting witnesses she was asked if there were any other chattels besides those already manifested, and she shat she had no others and did not know whether there could be more besides the debts of various individuals  who owed the deceased, her husband, which are mentioned in the testament that the said deceased and execute before his demise, and the clothing he used.  All of this, she is read to exhibit.  The debts are as follows:
                                                                                                                                            
Antonio de Santisteban owes 1 ox
25 p.
Geronimo Martin, resident of Abiquiu, owes 14 p. as evidenced by his promissory note
14 p.
Continuing with the clothing of the said widow it is as follows:

Item:  2 pairs of scarlet cloth skirts; 1 pair with fringe; this at thirty pesos and the plain at 20
50 p.
Some of the same of blue serge at 15p.
15 p.
For 1 find kimono of cape with its laces at 40 p.
40 p
1 yellow short cape, embroidered with turquoise, silver and silk at 100 p.
100p.
For another short black cape of old velvet from China
19 p.
For a striped dress, silk petticoat and jacket of green Persian cloth at 150 p.
150p.
For a tobajilla (scarf) of gold cloth and gold fringe
90 p.
For 1 hoop skirt of melindre with silver flowers and fringe at 100 p.
100 p.
For a double black Tobajilla (scarf) at 40 p.
  40 p.
For a luster-cloth cloak and fringe at 40 p.
 40 p.
For a Valencia satin petticoat at 30 p.
 30 p.
For an all silk rebozo used, at 20 p.
 20 p.
For an all silk rebozo, white background with fringe
 50 p.
For some earrings with 3 pearl pendants and those of pearls at 100 p. (por unos arêtes con pendientes de perlas con ocho y los de perlas en cien pesos).

100p.

600 p.
                                                                                                                                           
All the expressed chattels valued by the said appraisers, except the house and the lands in front of same, which were set down at the same valuation that was made in the inventory which was made during the lifetime of the said deceased, in order to complete the inheritance of his son Manuel Vegil, born of his first marriage, who transferred the share he had in said house and lands to his sister Maria Manuela de la Luz Vegil, as evidenced in the testament of the said deceased.  Everything being finished, and not having found in the said property, those things mentioned in the communication of the deceased Juan Montes Vegil, except l length of green serge, I the aforesaid Alcalde Mayor, ordered that the sum of 142 pesos and 4 reales be collected from the bulk of the estate at the current prices before it is partitioned and divided as that is the value of what is mentioned in the said declaration which is 1 length of green serge at 30 pesos, 1 yoke of oxen at 50 pesos, 3 cows at 60 pesos, 2 wax candles and 1 cuarta of silk.  In evidence thereof, I set it down in the proceedings, which I signed with my assisting witnesses, with whom I set as aforesaid, I certify.
      Manuel Gallego (Rubric)
Witness:  Visente Armijo (Rubric)
Witness:  Lucas Moya (Rubric)

In this Villa of Santa Fe, on the 26th of May, in the year seventeen hundred and sixty-two, I don Manuel Gallego, Alcalde Mayor of this villa and its jurisdiction, having concluded with the inventory of the estate which remained at the time of the death of Juan Montes Vigil, and having segregated the chattels for the amount of the declaration mentions, as it is recorded, and so as to give full compliance to the partition and division among the heirs of said deceased, and to comply with what the said deceased ordered in his testament, it was necessary to appoint an auditor for better knowledge of the accounts, for which purpose I appointed don Bernardo de Miera, a resident of this villa, a person of knowledge and conscience, to examine the totals of the items (to find out) if they are legal; and if they are to make the partitions as expressed in the testament, which the said Bernardo de Miera started to do in my presence and that of the existing witnesses, in the following manner:
First:  He delivered to Maria Manuela de la Luz vigil, daughter of the said deceased, the house and piece of land in front, as specified in his testament.

Item:  He gave a piece of land back of said house to Bartola Vegil, adopted daughter of the said deceased, with the sanction of all the heirs.

Item:  The pictures were divided as ordered by said deceased.

Item:  The 2 trunks and the Michoacan chest were delivered to the widow which was the will of the testator.

Item:  The writing desk and a painted chest were given to Manuel Vigil.

Item:  The 3 kettles were divided among the 3 heirs.

Item:  The small cups and china were divided between the mother and daughter as ordered by the said deceased.

Item:  The household furniture was divided between mother and daughter in equal parts, as expressed in the will of the said deceased, because he had already given Manuel his full paternal and maternal share.

Item:  The riding saddle, short sword, shield, and power bags were delivered to his son Manuel.

p.14
Item:  The 1000 ewes were divided as ordered by the deceased; 100 were delivered in payment of Masses to the Reverend Father Zambrano; 300 to Manuela, 300 to his wife Nicolasa Lujan.  The 600 which belong to said Nicolas Lujan and her daughter Maria Manuel Vegil are out on shares in charge of Ignacio Jaramillo, and the other 300 are in charge of Joseph Jaramillo, those belong to Manuel Vegil, according to and is evident by the documents.

Item:  The 30 cows which Martin Gallegos must deliver within the period of 5 years, as evidenced by the document were given to Manuela Vegil, as ordered by the said deceased.  I separated a cow without calf and gave it to the husband (not named) of the said Maria Manuela so as to fulfill the order of the said deceased.

Item:  Of the 27 head of cattle which are in charge of Martin Gallegos, 2 without calf were taken in order to fulfill the order of said deceased and the rest were divided between Manuel Vegil and the widow Nicolasa Lujan as ordered by the deceased.

Items:  Of the 3 oxen, one was paid for the church dues and 2 pay the declaration of Fray Polanco.  The bull ox was dedicated to pay the mandatory legacies (mandas forzosas)

Item:  the 3 heirs agreed that as soon as the ox that Antonio Santisteban is collected and the 14 pesos that Jeronimo Martin owes, are also collected, they should be divided in equal parts.

Item:  The Buena Vista ranch which belonged to Arguello, the agreed to divide in equal parts.

Item:  For the funeral expenses they paid: the Castilian cloth cloak lined with Lila, 1 coat and waistcoat of fine cloth, first grade, and a pair of trousers of the said cloth.

Item:  To Manuel was given a cloth coat, second grade, lined with blue silk, and a pair of black plush trousers.

Item:  The three male mules were divided among the three heirs, each taking one.

Item: The 70, I mean 47 ewes which Ramon Garcia owes, according to the promissory note, were awarded to Manuel Vegil, as ordered by the deceased.

Item:  The 70 wethers (carneros?) which Ramon Garcia owes, the aforesaid paid to Father Fray Joseph de la Cruz Polanco for Masses, for which a receipt was given by the said priest.

Having concluded the partition and division of the aforesaid estate mentioned among the 3 heirs of the deceased Juan Montes Vegil, the widow and 2 children, they all remained in agreement, with having anything to ask for or allege regarding the partition now or at any time.  The wearing apparel of the said widow, which appraised amounted to 800 pesos in the currency of the land, was segregated according to the will of the deceased.  And that it may so appeared, all signed with me and the assisting witnesses with whom I acted as Receiving Judge in the absence of a public or royal scribes of which there is none in this kingdom.
      Manuel Gallego (Rubric)
      Bernardo de Miera y Pacheco (Rubric)
      Manuel Vigil (Rubric)
At the request of Maria Manuela Begil, and as witness
Lucas Moya (Rubric)
At the request of Nicolas Lujan
Tomas Casillas (Rubric)
Witness:  Vicente Armijo (Rubric)

On the 27 day of May, in the year seventeen hundred sixty-two, I, Manuel Gallego, Alcalde Mayor of this villa and its jurisdiction, for a better compliance therewith, and that it may be evident throughout all time that the will of the testator has been duly complied with, should order and in fact do order the heirs of the deceased Juan Montes Vegil to obtain all receipts for alms, Masses and the declaration which was set for by the Reverend Father vice-custodian, Fray Manuel Zambrano and the Reverend Father Joseph de la Cruz Polanco, so as to attach them to these inventory proceedings so that it may always evident that the wishes of the testator have been complied with.  I, the said Alcalde Mayor, signed with the assisting witnesses, with whom I act as aforesaid, I certify.
      Manuel Gallego (Rubric)
Witness:  Visente Armijo (Rubric)
Witness:  Joaquin Martin (Rubric)

In the Villa of Santa Fe, on the 9th of July of the year one thousand seven hundred sixty-two, before me, Manuel Gallegos, Alcalde Mayor of said Villa and its jurisdiction, appeared Juan de Arguello, a resident of this said villa, whom I attest I know, and that he said that he was conveying in royal sale to the deceased Juan Montes Begil, and said lands and house are at the place which is called Buena Vista.  Because he did not execute an instrument for the said deceased Juan Montes Vigil, (he is executing the present one).  The said Juan de Arguello sold the land and house to the said Juan Montes Begil for the price and amount of 330 pesos which the aforesaid Juan de Arguello acknowledges he had received from the hand of the deceased Juan Montes Begil.

The boundaries of said lands are as follows:  on the least the lands of Joch (unclear) de Leiba, and a deep acequia, on the north the lands of Jacinto Pineda, on the west the lands of Joch (unclear) Medina and an acequia, on the south, lands of Antonio Domingues and of Miguel Aliri and the bank of the arroyo from the little ravine of wild marjoram straight from east to west, exclaiming from the said tract of land a piece which the son-in-law of Juan de Arguello sold, which is evident from the instrument of Marsial Maese.  I make this instrument for the 3 heirs who are:  the widow Nicolasa Lujan, Manuel Begil, and Manuela Begil; and I said Juan de Arguello, state that if said land and house is or may be worth more, of the surplus I make the 3 said heirs a gift and donation, mere, perfect and irrevocable, which the law denominates inter vivo, for the guarantee of which I bind my person and the property I now have or may have in the future.  I renounce the ancient law fecha non bale, my own jurisdiction, domicile and vicinity, the law si conventerit ditione luditie, and all the rest in my favor and defense.

All of which the aforesaid Juan de Arguello executed before me and the witnesses who were present (who were) Antonio Dominges and Domingo Antonio Segura.  I certify that I, said Alcalde Mayor interposed my authority on said day, month and year.
      Manuel Gallego (Rubric)
At the request of Juan de Arguello and as witness:
Phelipe Apodaca (Rubric)
Witness:  Juan Rafael Pineda (Rubric)

Reference:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Twitchell 1055, Reel 5, Frames 1292-1313.
©Patricia Sanchez Rau

1 comment:

  1. Are any of these items in existence somewhere and for sale? Please email me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete