Thursday, May 29, 2014

Jose Miguel de Ribera ~ will about 1770


Know all who shall see this memorandum that I, Joseph Miguel Rivera, resident of this villa of Santa Fe, and the legitimate son of Alferez don Juan Phelipe de Rivera, deceased and doña Maria Estela Rendon Palomino, find myself ill in bed and make this last will in the following manner.

I declare that I have been married according the church to doña Manuela Olgin for a period of four years, more or less, during which time we had two children one girl named Juana Antonia, and one boy named Agustin de Jesus, who I acknowledge as my legitimate children.

It is my will that my brother and compadre, Salbador Matias de Rivera, is my executor.

I declare as my goods 200 ewes, which are united with those belonging to my mother and they are in possession of Jose Chabes, resident of Atrisco; with a share of twenty out of a hundred and half of the wool.  It is my will that they remain with him the one hundred with the profit that belongs to it, to my wife Manuela Olgin; and the other hundred to my daughter Juana Antonia, in the same conformity with the profits.

I declare as my goods, three beasts belonging to the mule family, two jacks and one mule, with four pack saddles with full equipment.

I declare as my goods three horses, my riding saddle, bridle, spurs, little cushions, shield, gun with its case, ammunition pouches, which, together with the two cows and one little bull, are in possession of his grandfather, Antonio Sandobal, it is my last will to leave to my son, Agustin de Jesus, that he may enjoy it with God’s blessing and with mine.

I declare a house which I have built at the rear of the one belonging to my mother, and it composed of three rooms, with free ingress and egress.  It is my will that this be left to my wife.

I declare as goods - fifteen goats, which, with three and a burro and a jack, belong to my wife.

I declare that Francisco Montoya, resident of la Sienega, owes me twenty sheep, I order them collected and delivered to my wife.

I declare that my old clothes and the other things within the house, which may be recognized as mine, it is my wish that my wife enjoy.

I declare that Diego Antonio Baca, resident of this villa, owes me a piece of plush, without trimming, I order it collected.

I declare that Juachin Martin, a resident of El Rio Abajo owes me a jack-ass, I order it collected and if it is verified that it should be paid, he shall be given six pesos of the land from my goods.

I declare that Antonio Sandobal, a resident of this villa, owes me a pattern of scarlet cloth, seven varas long.  He must deliver this next year at the time when the neighbors may come and always when the collection of these debts is made, I order my executor to deliver them to my wife.

I declare that all of the goods, which remained at the end and death of my father, are in the possession of my mother, all without anything having been lost by me.  It is my will that all that is contained in this will be complied with fine and due effect.

I attest that I know the grantor and he did not know how to sign but at his request, Jose Miguel Tafoya, signed and witnesses Joachin Lain, rubric; and Miguel Tenorio de Alba, rubric. [not dated]

References:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Twitchell 788, Reel 4, Frames 1230-1232.
©Henrietta M. Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment