Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Geronimo Lopez ~ Purchases Land 1768

In the villa of Santa Fe on the 19th month of January 1768, before me, don Felipe Tafoya, Alcalde Mayor of this villa and its jurisdiction, appeared Antonio Ortega, soldier of this royal garrison, whom I certify I know.  He said he is going and did give in royal sale to Jeronimo Lopes, resident of this villa. 

A piece of cultivated land, which the said piece of lands composed from east to west 125 varas and from  north to south 150 varas.

Bound from east to west, the lands of said Lopes and those of Trujillo; from north to south, the acequia madre and the main road (camino real); for the price of 100 pesos, common currency.

The grantor did not sign because he did not know how.  I signed it along with the witnesses, which I cerfify - Phelipe Tafoya (rubric).

witnesses:  Jose Miguel Tafoia, (rubric) and Lucas Moya, (rubric)

References:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Twitchell 455, Roll #3, Frames 358-360.
©Henrietta M. Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment