Saturday, August 24, 2013

Antonia Barela de Losada ~ 1712 Will



I, Antonia Barela de Losada, a resident of this Villa of Santa Fe, and widow of Capt. Antonio Lucero de Godoy, being as I am, sick in bed of an illness, do make my last will and testament in the manner and form that follows.

I declare that Ramon Medina owes me 10 pesos which I order it collected.

I will order and wish that there be said for me 50 low masses in the alms for which I asked my children to pay.

I declare that I was married under the rights of our holy mother church to Capt. Antonio Lucero de Godoy, deceased, and during that time we were married we had and raised of their legitimate children, Rosa Lucero de Godoy, now married to Bentura the Esquibel; also Antonio Lucero de Godoy and Juan Diego Lucero de Godoy, and has been said, I declare as my own legitimate children, born and raised during that marriage.

At the time my said husband died he made his will before Capt. Juan Garcia de la Riva and he provided strictly for the execution of everything contained therein as well as for the partition of the few chattels left at the time of his death, which are: this house in which I live at present with the land that belong to it; 40 goats and two yoke of oxen which I declare belong to my daughter Rosa; a yoke to Juan Lucero; the other to Rosa and Diego Lucero, for one ox to each; as well as one plow, one axe and one chisel which I leave to my son Diego Lucero; and in all and for all I order that the last will my husband be observed, complied with and executed.

I also leave a copper kettle and the griddle to my daughter Rosa Lucero.  For the compliance and execution of this will, I appoint my sons Juan and Antonio Lucero as executors. I declare I have no other will or codicil and that I have no prior will to this and I want only this one to have force, which is made before Capt. don Alphonso Rael de Aguilar, Alcalde of said villa.

At this Villa of Santa Fe on the 13th day of June 1712. Assisting witnesses Juan de la Mora Pineda (rubric), Eusebio Rael de Aguilar (rubric) and before me, Alphonso Real de Aguilar (rubric).

References:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Twitchell #432, Reel 3, Frames 252-255.
©Henrietta M. Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment