Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Maria de los Reyes Gutierrez ~ Will 1843



Know ye all who shall see this testament and last will that I, Maria de los Reyes Gutierres, resident of La Cienega, jurisdiction of Santa Fe, being sick make my final testament.

I was married to Pablo Montoya, now deceased, for 56 years and during this time we had ten children who are living – Antonio, Ventura, Pablo, Jose Maria, Juan and Alvino, whom I acknowledge as my legitimate heirs.

Declare half a house at La Angostura with its lands, as shown in the deed for the pieces of land which I have at Acoma and Algodones, which are in the possession of my son, Ventura.

Declare one mule, one ox and three cows in the possession of my son, Ventura.

Declare twenty-eight ___ which are owed me and the documents are with my son, Ventura.

Declare 4,600 ewes; the documents are with my son, Ventura,

Declare 2,278 pesos in money which is owed me.  The documents are with my son, Ventura.

Declare 2,574 varas of land; the documents are with my son, Ventura.

Declare one embossed trunk, one large box, one copper kettle, two mattresses and one quilt, one Michoacán box.  These chattels are at the house of my son Alvino, and are the only belonging of mine which he has.  It is my will to leave them to this son.

Declare one cup, one shawl with fringe, on pair of silk stockings, one iron spoon and about 15 pounds of iron – more or less; these are at the house of my son Antonio, which I bequeath to him.

Declare one carpenter’s saw, one pair of blacksmith’s tongs and one iron bar, which Ventura has in his possession.

Declare three oxen, two mattresses, on closely woven blanket and three carpets.

I declare as my property the share that was left in my favor of the statue of San Jose and the other articles from the chapel of La Cienega.

Declare the lands that I have at Las Huertas and Las Lemitas, the deeds for which are in the possession of don Jose Maria Miera y Pino.

I order after all this is executed and my funeral paid for, the property shall be divided amongst my children in equal parts.  I ask that my executors be don Fernando Ortiz and don Rafael Romero, whom are present.

Signed at La Cienega, on May 9, 1843.  At the request of doña Maria Reyes Gutierres, Fernando Ortiz y Delgado (rubric) wit/ Rafael Romero

Reference:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Reel 3, Frames 58-61, Twitchell 399
©Henrietta M. Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment