Monday, May 20, 2013

Teresa Herrera ~ Will 1759


I, Teresa Erera, a resident of the settlement of San Jose de Chama, find myself dying and making my last testament.

I ask that my body be interred in the church of la villa Nueva de Santa Cruz, and that I be shrouded in the habit of our patron, St. Francis.

Declare that I was first married to Diego Martin Serrano we had no children.

Declare that I married a second time to Bartolome Trujillo, from this marriage we had no children.

I declare an eight room house and the cultivated lands as evidenced by the documents.

I declare I have three wooden chests with locks and keys.

I declare, two pairs of bracelets, one of coral and the others with black glass beads and coral.

I declare one mantle and one black silk hoop skirt – used; and one flesh colored scarf also used; one new blue serge skirt; one pair of flannel skirts – used; and two pairs of small skirts in use.

Three pesos in coins and one silver buckle, all used.

One used chocolate jar.

One used kettle and griddle.

One mirror.

Seven holy pictures on wool.

Two crucifixes, one large and one small.

I statue of the Immaculate Conception.

One bottle.

Two copper candlesticks.

One reliquary.

I piece of land which is included in my ranch that I purchased from my sister, Juana, of which deed of sale has not been made. 

I order to give, Culosa Martin, a room where she can live and the cornfield which is called the Palo Blancos, it is my wish to bequeath this to her.

Signed September 16, 1759 by the receiving judge:  Francisco Sanchez; wit/ Juan Ygnacio Mestas and Felipe Valerio.

References:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Twitchell #247, Reel 8, Frames 733-810.
©Henrietta M. Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment