Reading through the Catron Papers which have some genealogy, one of the people being questioned is Jose Maria Chavez. He states he lives in Abiquiu, he was born in Santa Clara and he knows the children of the Land Grantee Pedro Martin Serrano. He stated that Pedro married Maria Manuela Sisernos. He also states that Pedro was a brother to Mariano Martin Serrano.
Jose Maria Chavez goes on to say that the children are:
- Juan Manuel, who had a daughter Rafaela and she married a Quintana.
- Santiago and he went to California.
- Juan Cristobal Martin.
- Maria Viviana Martin. Her children are Jose Maria Baca and Manuel Baca.
A second testimony is given by Juan Madril, he basically states the same except that Juan Manuel Martin's daughter, Rafaela had two children Nicanor Quintana and Josefa Quintana (Dionisio Ortega).
He further states that Santiago did go to California in '43 and his children are named, Juan, Ruperta, Leonor, and Demetrio.
Descendants of Militia Lt., Pedro Martin & Maria Manuela Sisneros
1. Militia Lt., Pedro Martin,1 son of Santiago Martin and Antonia Gertrudis Vallejos, was born circa 1763 in New Mexico and died before February 1806 in New Mexico.
Noted events in his life were:
• He appeared on the census in 1790 in Abiquiu, New Mexico.2 Pedro Martin, S, 27; Maria Manuela Sisneros, 18; two sons ages 2, 1; female servant, 9.
• Estate: 1806, Abiquiu, New Mexico.3 Estate of Pedro Martin, who married Maria Manuela Sisneros, names his four heirs, Juan Manuel, Viviana, Santiago and Juan Cristobal.
Pedro married Maria Manuela Sisneros, daughter of Militia Alferez, Antonio Nerio Sisneros and Juana Bibiana Salazar, about 1785. Maria was born circa 1772 in New Mexico.4
Children from this marriage were:
2 M i. Juan Manuel Martin was born 28 January 1786 in Abiquiu, New Mexico1,5 and was baptized 30 January 1786.
Juan married Juana Catarina Valdez, daughter of Jose Ysidro Valdez and Maria del Loreto Gomez, 23 April 1807 in Abiquiu, New Mexico.6 Juana was born 5 December 1788 in Abiquiu, New Mexico.7
3 M ii. Francisco Antonio Martin was born 26 March 1787 in Abiquiu, New Mexico8 and was baptized 30 March 1787.
4 M iii. Francisco Antonio Martin was born 23 August 1789 in Abiquiu, New Mexico8 and was baptized 28 August 1789.
5 F iv. Maria Viviana Martin9 was born 10 May 1791 in Abiquiu, New Mexico10 and was baptized 14 May 1791.
Maria married ? Baca.
6 M v. Juan Antonio Martin was born 17 January 1793 in Abiquiu, New Mexico8 and was baptized 24 January 1793.
7 M vi. Santiago Martin was born 30 March 1794 in Abiquiu, New Mexico,11 was baptized 3 April 1794, and died in California.
Santiago married Maria Manuela Martin, daughter of Manuel Martin and Ana Maria del Rosario Larranaga.
8 M vii. Juan Cristobal Martin was born 7 February 1797 in Abiquiu, New Mexico12 and was baptized 14 February 1797.
9 M viii. Antonio Nerio Martin was born 5 November 1798 in Abiquiu, New Mexico13 and was baptized 20 November 1798.
10 M ix. Jose Bernardino Martin was born 22 January 1800 in Abiquiu, New Mexico14 and was baptized 26 January 1800.
1. Rick Hendricks and John Colligan, New Mexico Prenuptial Investigations 1800-1893, Pg. 49.
2. Olmsted, Virginia Langham, Spanish and Mexican Census 1750-1830 (NMGS), Pg. 114, Plaza de San Miguel, HH 4.
3. New Mexico State Records Center and Archives, Santa Fe, NM, Spanish Archives of New Mexico, TW 612.
4. New Mexico State Records Center and Archives, Santa Fe, NM, Spanish Archives of New Mexico, TW 612. In this archive, she states her father's name, that of her husbands and her children.
5. Thomas D. Martinez, Abiquiu Baptisms 1754-1866 (Self-Published), Pg. 228. Bap Jan 30 1786, b. Jan 28, s/ Pedro Martin and Maria Manuela Sisneros, pad/ Geraldo Sisneros and Francisca Martin.
6. Complied by Margaret Leonard Windham and Evelyn Lujan Baca, New Mexico Marriages Church of Santo Thomas de Abiquiu 1756-1826 (New Mexico Genealogical Society), Pg. 36. Juan Manuel Martin, single, s/ Pedro Martin, dec., and Maria Manuela Sisneros, with Juana Catalina Valdes, single, d/ Jose Ysidro Valdes and Maria Loreta Gomez, dispensed of 4th degree, pad/ Deigo Martin and Bibian Martin.
7. Thomas D. Martinez, Abiquiu Baptisms 1754-1866 (Self-Published), Pg. 397. Bap Dec 8 1788, d/ Jose Valdez and Maria del Loreto Gomez, from Plaza Colorado, pad/ Antonio Faustin Martin and Maria Manuela Valdez.
8. Thomas D. Martinez, Abiquiu Baptisms 1754-1866 (Self-Published), Pg. 228.
9. Catron, Catron Papers (UNM), Reel 3, Frames 300796-300863.
10. Thomas D. Martinez, Abiquiu Baptisms 1754-1866 (Self-Published), Pg. 228. Bap May 14 1791, age 4 days, d/ Pedro Antonio Martin and Maria Manuela Sisneros, pad/ Antonio Severiano Martin and Maria del Carmen Santistevan.
11. Thomas D. Martinez, Abiquiu Baptisms 1754-1866 (Self-Published), Pg. 229. bap Apr 3 1794, 4 days old, s/ Pedro Antonio Martin and Maria Manuela Sisernos, pad/ Hermeregildo Sisneros and Maria Rita Juliana Lucero.
12. Thomas D. Martinez, Abiquiu Baptisms 1754-1866 (Self-Published), Pg. 229. Bap Feb 14 1797, age 7 days, s/ Pedro Antonio Martin and Maria Manuela Sisneros, pad/ Alcalde don Manuel Garcia and Maria Antonia Trujillo.
13. Thomas D. Martinez, Abiquiu Baptisms 1754-1866 (Self-Published), Pg. 229.
14. Thomas D. Martinez, Abiquiu Baptisms 1754-1866 (Self-Published), Pg. 229. Bap Jan 26 1800, b. Jan 22, pad/ Cayetano Hipolito Serrano and Maria Concepcion Duran.
Reference: Catron Papers, UNM, Reel 3, frames 300796-300863; H. M. Christmas Database, compiled genealogy Pedro Martin Serrano.
©Henrietta M. Christmas