Thursday, December 11, 2014

Maria de la Luz Jaramillo ~ Will 1825



Know ye all who shall see this my testament, that I, Maria de la Lus Jaramillo, wife of Andres Ortega, 1st Corporal of this national company of Santa Fe, find myself sick in bed and order my will in the following manner.

I desire to be shrouded and buried in the Military Chapel.

I declare that I have been married a third time to Andres Ortega for the term of nine years, during which time we had no children.

I declare as my property two cows with calves; one female burro; one kettle; one iron griddle; a spoon of the same; also a spit and a kettle of iron; three mattresses; one blanket; one axe and handle; and one box with locks.

I declare that Antonio Chaves, a resident of El Bado, owes me one horse, I order it collected.

It is my will that twelve Masses be offered to God Almighty for the welfare of my soul to be paid from my property; and the remaining, it is my will to leave to my husband, that he may enjoy it.

I assign as administrators, first my husband Andres Ortega and second the 1st Sergeant Manuel Baca, whom I ask to comply and execute this my last will.

The testator did not know how to sign, but she made the sign of the cross and with two witnesses along with me, the soldier, Eugenio Lovato and Eduardo Troncoso, executed in Santa Fe on the 20th of December 1825.

Signed Jose de Larrañaga, rubric
Wit/ Eugenio Lovato, rubric and Eduardo Troncoso, rubric.

Reference:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Twitchell 1249, Reel 6, Frames 866-867.
©Henrietta M. Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment