Monday, October 13, 2014

Juan Antono Tafoya ~ Will 1784



I, Juan Antonio Tafoya, a retired soldier of this royal garrison of Santa Fe, make my testament in the following manner:

I have been married to Getrudis Analla, for fifty years and during this time we had eleven children, seven boys and four girls:  Juan Antonio, deceased; Juan Domingo, deceased; Juan Cayetano, deceased; Juan Luis, deceased; Juan Antonio, deceased; Francisco Estevan, deceased; Jose Francisco; Nicolas, deceased; Juana Maria, deceased; Maria Luisa and Maria Josefa.

I declare as my property a tract of land which I have in Buena Vista, part of that land shall go to my wife.  Six divisions shall be made, for Jose Francisco, where ever he may choose and the four for my daughters and granddaughter, Maria de la Luz.  The named was once better for having received nothing before; and the others who participated in other properties which I have divided amongst them.

I declare that I have a yoke of oxen, with their full equipment and cart.  It is my will to leave this to my wife.

I declare to have a female burro, and a female mule.  The burro be given to my wife and the other to my daughters, to be divided between them; the male for Jose Francisco.

I declare as my property, one axe, one adze, one chisel, one hoe, three flasks, one barrel, one griddle, one spit, two kettles, and the rest of the household furniture it is my will to leave to my wife.

I declare as my property one pair of cloth trousers, a coat of luster cloth, one breast plate of the same, a used cloak, and one hat.  It is my will be leave my son, Jose the cloak and hat; the trousers for the welfare of my soul and the rest to my wife.

I declare as my property one shotgun, a saddle, saddle bags, blanket, and bridle.  It is my will to leave the shotgun and saddle to my wife and the rest to my son, Francisco.

Two pairs of harness, now in possession of Sergeant Sandobal, they are his, for the balance I owe him.

I declare a frock coat, I leave this for Masses, which I have asked be offered for me.

I declare to have in my possession a trust belonging to two of my grandchildren, which is covered by the inventory made by the alcalde mayor, with the rest which is evident, which is extant, and it must be delivered to whomever his excellency, the Governor of this Province, will desire to  appoint as guardian, as a father of minors.

I declare that I owe six varas of unbleached muslin; four to Miguel Salazar and two to his brother.  I order these paid.

I declare that I owe Pablo Sena for the manufacture of ploughshares, I order them paid.

To Pedro Ygnacio Sanchez, resident of La Canada, four pesos, products of the soil, I order them paid.

I declare that I owe, don Miguel Olona, one pound of chocolate which he loaned to me, I order it paid.

I declare I owe Pedro Xisneros, resident of Corral de Piedra, three pesos in products of the soil, I order them paid.

I declare Martin Lopez, two pesos, products of the soil, I order them paid.

I declare owing don Jose Ortiz, 20 reales in silver, I order them paid.

I declare that I owe t don Vicente Troncoso, two pesos, I order them paid.

I declare that Modesto, a resident of this villa, owes me 11 pesos, in products of the soil, I order them collected.

I declare Juan Moya owes me 10 reales in products of the soil.

I declare that Miguel Montoya, resident of Cundillo, owes me three buckskins or their equivalent, I order them collected.

I declare Jose Lovato, resident of this villa, owes me five pesos in products of the soil, I order them collected.

I declare Rita Ramirez owes me one pesos in products of the soil.

I declare it is my will to assign as my administrators of my estate, first my wife and second Miguel Alire, before don Juan Bautista de Anza, signed on this 12th of May 1784.

Jose Maldonado, rubric; Pablo Sandoval, rubric; Cleto Miera, rubric.

References:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Twitchell 998, Reel 5, Frames 891-894.
©Henrietta M. Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment