Monday, August 18, 2014

Soldier Tomas Urioste ~ Will 1820


Know ye, all who shall see this memorandum, that I, Tomas Urioste, soldier of this company in Santa Fe, finding myself sick in bed of an illness that God has seen fit to send me, and being in sound mind and judgment, execute and order this, my last will and testament, in the following manner:

I declare that I have been married, in first marriage, according to the rites of the Catholic Church, to Juana Jeronima Maese, for twenty-four years. In the said time we had and raised one child who was named Juan Antonio, and the said child died in tender age.

I declare that I received, as my wife’s dowry, five breeding cows and one burro. Of these chattels nothing is left; and we both enjoyed same.

I declare that I have one shotgun; one pistol which will be found in the warehouse; one lance; one cartridge belt with 15 cartridges; one saddle, fully equipped; one gun case. The bridle and spurs are at the home of the gunsmith. They have been there since last year, and have been examined, but have not been returned to me. The saddle pads were lost in Navajo; Sergeant Manuel Baca is aware of this.

I declare that I have 3 horses; one “he” mule and one of the horses has been lost since last winter.

I declare that I have in the plaza of San Fernando de Taos 300 varas of farming land which Jose Miera is cultivating. I order that this land be delivered to my wife.

I declare that I have a house in the plaza of San Francisco de Taos (sic), composed of 4 rooms, where my brothers are living. I order my wife to recover it.

I order that the salary due me as a soldier be given to my wife so that she can pay for my funeral.

I declare that Manuel Lopez owes me six varas of printed cotton; one rebozo; four varas of linen and two pairs of shoes. I order that they be collected.

I declare that Manuel Alire owes me one fat ox. I order that it be recovered.

I declare that Juana Zena owes me two pesos in coin. I order that they be collected.

I declare that Manuel Gregorio of Abiquiu owes me four first-grade chamois skins. I order that they be collected.

I declare that Manuel Maestas owes me 6 first-grade chamois skins. I order that they be collected.

I declare that Juan Baldes of Cuyamungue owes me two pesos in coin. I order that they be collected.

I declare that I owe don Francisco Ortiz 12 pesos in coin. I order them paid. I owe the Master, Manuel Sena, one two-year old colt, and I owe corporal Ortiz four pesos in coin.

I appoint as my executors, in the first place, Corporal Francisco Ortiz, and Felix, my brother; and I ask them, in the name of God, that, after paying for my funeral, they give what remains to my wife, and also pay my debts; and the balance my wife may enjoy with God’s blessing and mine.

I declare that I have not executed any other testament or codicil except the present one; and for its greater force and validity it has been executed before Sergeant don Jose Alarid, who made it, and whom I requested to interpose his authority. I certify that I know the grantor, who did not sign, because he did not know how, and who made the sign of the cross. I signed in the presence of my assisting witnesses, who were the soldier, Jose Alarid, 2nd, and Anto (Antonio) Ortiz.

Executed in the villa of Santa Fe, New Mexico, on the 10th of July, 1820.

Jose Antonio Alarid (rubric); Jose Alarid, 2nd; (rubric) and Antonio Ortiz (rubric).

References:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Twitchell 1025, Reel 5, Frames 1142-1145.
©Henrietta M. Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment