Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Soldier, Jose Pablo Rael Settlement of Estate (Will only) 1780



Know ye all who may see this letter, that I, Jose Pablo, soldier of this royal garrison, finding myself ill in bed, and in my sound mind; I order testament.

I declare that I have been married with church benediction according to the rites of our holy mother church, to Maria Barbara Baca, for the period of two years and five months, during which marriage we have had two children, Ana Maria and Nicolas.

I declare as my property that which by the death of my father appears in his testament, it being understood to be one half of that which at present is or may be in existence, and of what may be living according to what was declared by my father; which property shall remain without controversy for the benefit of my wife and son.

I declare that I have two heifers and one bull which are with the cattle of my mother. These shall be separated therefrom, because they belong to my wife and son.

I declare that I owe to Jose Manuel Beytia, resident of Bernalillo, seven and one-half varas of unbleached muslin, worth three pesos. I order that it be paid.

I declare that I owe to Juan Antonio Salazar, resident of la Cañada, one vara of unbleached muslin or Rouen linen. I order that it be paid.

I declare that I owe to don Jose Ortiz one piece of medium wide unbleached muslin and two pesos in money. I order that they be paid.

I declare that the soldier, Jose Ignacio Alari, owes me three one-year-old heifers, as appears from his note. I order that they be collected.

I declare that the soldier, Jose Vegil, owes me two reales in silver. I order that they be collected.

I declare that the soldier, Santiesteban, owes me two reales in silver. I order that they be collected.

I declare that the soldier Garviso owes me two reales in silver. I order that they be collected.

I declare that Corporal Juan de Jesus Beitia owes me two reales in silver. I order that they be collected.

I declare that Manuel Enzinas, resident of this villa, owes me thirty-seven pesos and four reales that I have given him; and he is repaying them with his work at the rate of the prices of the products of the land.

I declare that Vicente Baca, resident of Atrisco, owes me fifteen pesos of the land. I order that they be collected.

I declare that Bartolome Lovato owes me twenty-two pesos of the land, which he may serve and repay with his work.

I declare as my executor and the custodian of my property, don Diego Antonio Baca, my father-in-law, in the first place, and my wife in the second, that they may fulfill and keep this memorandum, testament and last will, that I may be enjoyed by my wife and son with God’s blessing and mine. In order that it may have due effect and fulfillment, I request my Ensign to interpose his authority and judicial sanction; and I, the said Ensign, by the power that has been conferred upon me by my Lieutenant Colonel don Juan Bautista de Anza, Governor and Commander General of this kingdom, did interpose it; acting with the undersigned assisting witnesses with whom I act for the lack of notaries, of which there is none of any kind in this government, to which I certify. The grantor signed it with me on the 17th day of May, 1780. Done as above stated, etc. I signed it.

Jose Pablo Rael (rubric); Jose Maldonado (rubric) and Sergeant Juan de Abrego (rubric).

Reference:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Twitchell 1207, Reel 6, Frame 662-886.
©Henrietta M. Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment