Saturday, July 5, 2014

Maria Guadalupe Sanchez ~ Will 1833



Know all who see this, my last will and testament, that I Maria Guadalupe Sanchez find myself ill in bed and make my final will and testament.

I declare that I was married to Manuel Baca and from said marriage, which lasted two years we had and raised one child, who died after his father’s death.

I declare that I was married a second time to Juan Manuel Garvisu, we had one child who died after his father’s death; this marriages lasted three years.  And I was married a third time to don Mariano Bernal, and we lived together for fourteen years and from this marriage we had one daughter who died before her father.

I declare that I am now married to Felipe Tafoya and we have lived together for three years and from said marriage we have no children.

I declare that when I contracted the present marriage I brought to my husband, forty head of cattle, eighty ewes, the house where I reside, three mules, eight horses and one burro.

I declare that out of the 500 pesos that I brought to this marriage, I paid 100 pesos for an Indian woman, 300 for 600 ewes which Father don Fernando Ortis owes me and another 100 which we spend during our marriage.  The balance if there is any, I leave to my aforesaid husband.

I declare, 11 mattresses, 9 sheets, 7 pillows, 2 large mirrors, 2 cotton bedspreads, 2 wool blankets, 3 rugs, 2 wainscotings, 1 trunk, 1 leather trunk, 2 boxes, 1 chest, 3 silver plates, 1 salt cellar, 1 small glass, 1 cupboard, 1 griddle, 2 spoons, 1 bridle, 1 copper kettle, 1 bedstead, 2 woolen nightgowns, 21 holy pictures, 2 dresses, 1 scarf, 2 silk shawls, 1 cotton shawl, 1 black rebozo, 1 gold string, 1 pair earrings with gold pendants, 3 rings, and 1 reliquary also of gold, 1 high gold comb.

I declare that when I married my husband brought to me 18 head of cattle, 2 horses and 1 burro.

I declare that I do not owe anyone nor does anyone owe me, even one peso. 

I declare that I have two little Indian girls and one little Indian boy; I want them to remain with my husband.

I declare that at my death I leave to Magdalena, four cows and to Jose Manuel five cows and to Maria Antonia two cows, which shall remain for their benefit and I desire that my husband be their guardian until they are of age and as long as they are in his service.

I leave after my masses and funeral, my property to my legitimate husband; and I also give each one of my three little Indians one room in my residence with the land immediately adjoining as shown in the deed.  I also give each of them one mattress, two holy pictures, one little chest to Maria Antonia and one to Magdalena, and one silk shawl to each.

I declare that it is my will to bequeath to my sister, Maria Josefa, two dresses of Indian Linen and one black rebozo.

I appoint as my administrators and executors, first my husband and second my brother, don Gregorio Sanchez and in the third place, don Vicente Martin. 

I declare that I give and bequeath to Our Lady of the Rosary, one gold necklace and Our Lady of Guadalupe, two mirrors, one bedspread and one Holy Cross of Querétaro.

Not dated, 1833 or 1834.

Jose Francisco Terrus, rubric; witnesses:  Jose Rafael Truxillo, rubric; Domingo Fernandes, rubric; and Juan Miguel Ortega, rubric.

Reference:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Twitchell 908, Reel 5, Frames 366-372.
©Henrietta M. Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment