Monday, June 30, 2014

Matias Sena ~ 1799 Will


Know all who shall see this testament, that I, Matias Sena, soldier of this Royal Garrison of Santa Fe, of New Mexico, being ill in bed, but in my whole and sound mind, order and leave this will in the following form:

I declare I was married, in first nuptials to Polonia Ortis for a period of twelve years, during which marriage, we had reared four children, two boys and two girls; Maria Rosa, Miguel and Guadalupe and Tomas, whom I acknowledge as my legitimate children.

I declare I have been married in second nuptials to Maria Manuela Armijo for a period of six years, during which time we had and reared two children, one boy and one girl; the first, Juana Rita, deceased; another, Jose; whom I acknowledge as my legitimate children and heirs.

I declare as my goods the arms, mount and the rest of my equipment, with which I serve the King. All of which is composed of a gun, pistol, lance, shield, and cartridge box and “parquete,” a saddle with equipment, saddle pads less a cover, a bridle, head stall, halter, spurs, boots, five horses, one mule.

I declare as my goods, one house on the other side of the river of this villa, which is composed of seven rooms, which, with a horse corral, comprise the seven; and a lot of land which is bounded by the front of the same house, which I bear in mind, which is ninety-seven vara in width, and the extent will be evident by the same instruments. This house and lands have not been an inheritance from my parents, but purchased, which I bought from my brother, Jose, now deceased.

I declare as my goods, the clothes which I use, which are composed of a jacket and new trousers, and a waist coat, the field clothes, already worn, a new hat, trimmed with its headband, a new silk handkerchief, two changes of white clothing, of a shirt and white trousers, two pairs of cotton stockings, a hair ribbon.

I declare as my goods, two boxes for flour, without a lock or keys, a large copper kettle, a griddle, an iron spoon, a copper frying pan, four pictures, one large and three small.

I declare that I owe to Sergeant Juan de Jesus four reales in reales; I order that they be paid.

I declare that I owe to the Private Martin Gallego ten reales in reales; I order that they be paid.

I declare that I owe to Jose Pablo Sandobal two reales in reales; I order that they be paid.

I declare that I owe to my nephew, Jose Zena, two pesos; I order that they be paid.

I declare that I owe to my neighbor, Manuel Gallego, one peso in reales; I order that they be paid.

I declare that I owe to Juan Garcia, resident of “La Plasa de las Gracias,” one hat, two varas of ribbon at a real per vara, and a silk handkerchief.

I declare that the Private, Andres Ortega owes me three pesos in reales; I order them to be collected.

I declare that the Private, Salbador Leyba owes me seven reales, I order that they be collected.

I declare that the Carbineer owes me four reales in reales; I order that they be collected.

I declares that neighbor, Grabiel Rendon, owes me a vara and a quarter of linen; I order that it be collected.

I declare that, because I do not remember if I owe any person, he shall be paid from my scanty goods; and if anyone owes me, I ordered that it be collected.

I declare that, of my scanty possessions which I have acquired by my labor, it is my will that they be divided among my children, the first and the second, and my wife, after my funeral expenses and debts are paid.

I declare that I have an Indian in my service, whom I bought, whom I have raised as a son, and he has served us with much honesty. My wife and children shall give him that which they voluntarily shall desire for his good service.

I name as my executors: in the first place, my wife, and in the second, my brother, Bisente, in order that they may fulfill all that which I have explained, and for the greater force and validity of this, my testament. I signed it, the witnesses being the Sergeant of my company, Juan de Jesus Beyta, and the Private Santiago Fernandes. It is done in this Royal Garrison today, the First of April of 1799.

Juan de Abrego, (rubric); Juan de Jesus Beitia, (rubric); Santiago Fernandez, (rubric).  Santa Fe, 5th of April, 1799; and comply with the will of the Testator. Chacon, (rubric).  Annulled on the 16th of July of 1799. Chacon, (rubric).

References:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series, I, Twitchell 885, Reel 5, Frames 236-239.
©Henrietta M. Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment