Saturday, May 17, 2014

Juana Romero ~ Will 1762



I, Juana Romero, legitimate daughter of don Antonio Romero and Nicolasa del Castillo, natives of the Kingdom of New Mexico, resident of La Cienega, being sick make this my final will in the following manner.

I was united in a first marriage to Nicolas de Chabes and had the following children:  Loreta de Chabes who is married to Luis Montolla; Antonia de Chabes; Joseph Maria de Chabes; Ana Maria de Chabes.

I leave Antonia to my brother Antonio Baca, and Joseph Maria to my brother Miguel Romero.  I leave Ana Maria to my brother, Domingo.  I leave to my brothers, in order that they may rear and shelter them as their adopted children, instructing them in the holy fear of God, protecting them; as I transfer for all the paternal right which pertains to me.  This is my last will. 

In my second marriage to Christobal Montoya and had one daughter, Jusepa Montoya, who will remain with my husband.

I declare as my goods 17 head of cattle; seven breeding cows; one little yearling heifer that is going on two years; three of this season; two little bulls of this season; one two-year old bull and one tame ox.

A scarlet skirt and gauze veil.

One counterpane.

A loom with two pairs of “lisos” and a comb.

An iron griddle.

An iron spoon.

A chest.

Two small pictures one of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios, and one of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

I declare that I owe 80 pesos to my compadre don Jose Reano.

I declare that I owe four pesos to don Jose Moreno, and I owe two pesos to Lucas Moya.

Francisco Borrego owes me two two-year old bulls.

Salbador Garcia, the one from El Rio Abajo, owes me eight pesos.

And to fulfill my testament, I name as my executors, Miguel Romero in the first and my brother, Juan Antonio Baca, in the second.

Dated this 30th of November 1762, by Manuel Gallego, rubric; Alexandro Thenorio de Alba, rubric; Andres Montoya, rubric.

References:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Twitchell 776, Reel 4, Frames 1145-1148.
©Henrietta M. Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment