Thursday, May 1, 2014

Alfonso Rael de Aguilar ~ Will 1745


I, Alfonso Aguilar, being sick but of sound mind, order this my last will and testament. 

I declare having been married to doña Tomasa Montoya, my legitimate wife for eighteen years and we had seven legitimate children who are:  Alfonso Real de Aguilar, Josefa, Francisca, Manuela, Feliciana, Margarita, who died when she was five years old and Julian Lorenzo, whom I declare as children from my first marriage; and on the death of doña Tomasa Montoya, I contracted in second nuptials with doña Melchora Sandobal Martinez, and we have lived together for eighteen years and from this union we had two children: Tomas Rael de Aguilar and Joseph, whom I declare as my legitimate children.  As Melchora Sandobal de Martinez is my legitimate wife, whom I appoint as my administratrix and in second place, I appoint, Captain Antonio de Ulibarri. In third place I appoint, Gregorio Garduño, all settlers of this villa.

I declare as my property the house where we reside composed of one hall and seven rooms and the furniture contained therein, to go to my wife.

I declare as my property the lands I purchased from Juliana Sais; these lands do belong to my wife and the other lands I leave to all of my children, to be divided equally.

I declare as my property a house that is near the church, composed of five rooms, with a hallway and a piece of farming land, I order it to be divided amongst all.

I declare as my chattels 350 head of sheep; 300 breeding ewes and 50 breeding goats.  I want it to be understood that 200 head of breeding ewes belong to my wife and the balance are to be divided among all of my children in equal parts.

I declare as my chattels 68 wethers, which I leave for house expenses.

I declare as my property eight bucks and three he-goats.

I declare that I have 250 ewes and 20 goats, which belong to Captain Juan Vigil and also four bucks.

I declare as my property seven oxen and one bull; four bulls of these I leave my wife two yoke of oxen; and the others all of my children to divide into equal parts, oxen as well as bulls.

I declare as my chattels five cows, but of these I owe two head.

I declare as my chattels two he-mules, five horses and one mare.

I declare as my chattels one cowboy saddle, one arquebus, with case, one small sword, spurs with silver buckles, bridle, saddle cushions and saddle bags; and of this I leave my son, Joseph, the spurs with silver buckles and the silver sword handle; and the balance of these chattels I leave to my son, Julian for having treated me so well.  The saddle and arquebus which my son Julian has, I leave to my son, Alfonso and to my son, Joseph; I leave one arquebus, less the case.

I declare that I have 22 buffalo hides and eight deer skins.

I declare that I have ten fanegas of piñones; these to be sold and the proceeds to be given to my family who are at home.

I declare I have one cloak, coat, trousers and a braided hat, which I bequeath to my son, Julian, as , also, I leave to my said son the cloak, the coat and trousers and to my son, Alfonso, I leave a pair of serge trousers already worn.

I have already assigned to all of my children the cattle in good shape, which they all know; and I request them not to ask now or at any time for anything else.

I declare that Marcial Gonzales owes me a piece of narrow Brittany cloth; also a piece of satin sleeves, with lining and buttons, and one pair of men’s shoes, which I order collected.

I declare that Jose Romero, son of Baltazar Romero, owes me ten head of breeding ewes, I order them collected.

I declare that Salbador Manuel Marquez owes me eight lambs, I order them collected.

I declare that Gregorio Jaramillo owes me five ewes, I order them collected.

I declare that Juan Miguel Alvano del Castillo owes me 11 head of ewes and one bed sheet; and that I owe him one old and decrepit horse, which I order to be collected and to pay him.

I declare that Gregorio Garduño owes me three varas of satin, one veil and its trimmings, I order they be collected.

I declare that Felix Sanchez owes me one gently he-mule, I order it collected.

I declare that Juan de Arguello owes me one fanegas of wheat, I order it collected.

I declare that Lazaro Trujillo owes me 60 pesos, I order it collected.

I declare that Diego Basquez Borrego owes me 80 pesos and two mules; also, the rental of same for seven years, I order this to be collected.

I declare that Juan Francisco Munoz owes me one mule, I order it collected.

I declare that Salvador Laureno owes me eleven pesos, I order this collected.

I declare that Juan Trujillo the soldier, owes me one cow with calf or about to have a calf, I order it collected.

I declare that Leonardo Gonzales owes me one cow with calf or about to have a calf, I order it collected.

I declare that I owe Maria Roybal, one steer and one yearling heifer and one horse; I order these to be paid.

I declare that I owe the Pecos Indian, known to Antonio Sandoval, one lame mule; I order it to be paid.

I declare that I owe Juan Bejil two buffalo hides; I order them to be paid.

I declare that I owe don Jose Reano 17 wethers and one peso; and he owes me the work of taking the dirt off the roof of the storeroom, I order it to be collected and to pay the same.

I declare that I owe Pablo Trujillo one two-year old heifer, I order it to be paid.

I declare that Juan Jose Torres owes me two hides, I order they be collected.

I declare that Marcos de Apodaca owes me two pesos, I order them collected.

Executed in this villa on May 12, 1745, to which I certify, Antonio de Ulibarri, rubric.

Alfonso Rael de Aguilar, rubric; with witnesses: Jose Miguel de la Peña, rubric; Miguel de Alire, rubric.

**Another will exists as is referenced as Twitchell #31, blogged on March 29, 2013.  

References:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Twitchell 765, Reel 4, Frames 1045-1051.
©Henrietta M. Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment