Saturday, November 9, 2013

Antonio Montoya ~ Will 1749



I, Antonio Montolla, a native of this villa nueva de Santa Cruz, am ill in bed and make this my last will and testament.

I declare that I was married to Juana de Medina and we had twelve children who are:  Francisco, Ramon, Consesion, Maria Juliana, Francisca Ramos, Antonio, Mariano, Graviel, Rafael, Juana, Pascuala and Alejandro Tomas – and of these four are dead the rest are living and three are married.

I wish to be interred in the parish church of this villa.

I declare as my property a parcel of cultivated land where my house, which contains six rooms is located.  The land would five almudes of corn feed, more or less, and I order that the house and lands be divided and be given to each one in equal parts, as my executors may consider just.

I declare that I owe on pair of stocking in Peña Blanca, I order that it be paid.

I declare that I owe one heavy-buckskin in El Paso, I order it paid.

I declare that Ynasio Bargas owes me three pesos, I order that collected.

I declare that Gabiel (Xavier) Tafolla owes me seven pesos, I order that collected.

I declare that Juan Trujillo, son-in-law of Juana Martin, owes me two pesos, I order that collected.

I declare that Juan Tafolla owes me four pesos and I order that collected.

I declare that Gaviel (Xavier) Martin owes me two pesos, I order that collected.

I declare that I owe Juan Antonio Camo, four pesos, I order that paid.

I declare that I leave a shotgun with its’ case, now old, its shield, already used, its power bags, already old, and its powder flask half full of powder, besides sixty bullets of lead and stone, I leave them for my internment.

For the execution and payment of this, my last will and testament, I leave my wife, Juana de Medina, and my son, Ramon Montolla, as my administrators and the keepers of my property.  I declare them as my heirs along with my legitimate children.

I request, that Captain Juan Jose Sandobal, Lt. Alcalde Mayor of this district and locality of Santa Francisco Gabiel, to authorize this, my last will and testament, as it is my will that it be kept and complied with.

I did not sign as I do not know how, I asked Salbador Barela to sign for me, this September 13, 1749.

Singed Salbador Barela, rubric
Witnesses:  Salbador Barela, rubric, Alonso Sandobal, rubric and Juan Jose Sandobal, rubric

References:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Twitchell 528, Reel 3, Frames 849-852.
©Henrietta M. Christmas

1 comment:

  1. It is very interesting to read how he declares his accounts be settled. Thank you !

    ReplyDelete