Sunday, August 11, 2013

Juan Esteban Canjuebe ~ Will 1764


Know all who may see this testamentary letter and last and final will that I, Juan Estevan Canjuebe, resident of San Antonio (Santa Clara jurisdiction), legitimate son of Roque Canjuebe and Juana Cheome, being sick in bed make my last will and testament.

I declare that I was married to Quiteria Telles from which marriage we had and reared Joseph, Juan Antonio, Juan Alfonso, Lorenzo and Maria Manuela, whom I declare my legitimate children

I declare that my wife brought to my possession 60 ewes.

I declare that I owe Cayetano Atencio a bull, a heifer of two years going on three and two chamois skins.

I declare owing the son of an Indian from the Taos called Felipe Capullo a filly.

I declare owing an Indian from Santa Clara called Juan Manuel Bala, a horse.

I declare owing Alejandro Mora and awl.

I declare owing Julian Bejil a remnant.

I declare owing Alonso, Indian from the Pueblo of Jemez, an axe worth 15 pesos.

I declare Juan Manuel Padilla owes me adobes for a room and the building of it until it is completed, for horse which I chartered this him to go to hell Rio Abajo.

I declare as my estate the ranch of land which I obtained from inheritance from my parents with the dwelling house which consists of two rooms as per judicial instrument which is executed for this purpose.

I declare that my wife had the portion of land which consists of a cornfield in San Juan.

I declare as my possession eight breeding cows.

I declare as my property to have three heifers and one-year-old bull.

I declare as my property four oxen.

I declare as my property four tamed horses.

I declare as my property two unbroken mares, a filly and eight breeding burro.

I declare as my possession to guns in good condition.

I declare as my property a leather coat, a small sword and shield.

I declare as my property a saddle which I use, bridle and spurs.

I declare as my property some leather saddlebags and a shoulder belt.

I declare, a statue of St. Anthony, over one-half vara high, and a paper ratable.

I declare as my property of coal axe.

I declare as my property a small hoe, a wooden plow point and two plows, all complete.

I declare as my property a cart fully equipped.

I declare and adze and two chisels, a javelin, and a spit.

I declare an iron griddle, and iron skillet, the branding iron.

I declare to have in my service a young Indian boy 12 years old, more or less.

I remember owing Pedro Sanchez large buckskin.

I declare that I owe don Clemente buckskin.

I leave two pesos for a mass to be offered to the souls in purgatory for my intention.

I name is my executors my brother, Juan Canjuebe, and as holder of my estate my wife, so that after my death she will receive my property and recover and collect during the term of one complete year as disposed by law or whatever more might be necessary. After the fulfillment in payment of this my will, I Institute and name as my heirs Joseph, Juan Antonio, Juan Alfonso, Lorenzo and Maria Manuela, with my said wife so that they may inherit the residual of my estate and enjoy it was God’s blessing at the locality of San Antonio on the second day of the month of April, your 1764.

Witnessed by: Francisco Sanchez and Cayetano Atencio. In testimony thereof: Manuel Garcia rubric, Francisco Sanchez rubric, Cayetano Atencio rubric.

References:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Twitchell #417, Reel 3, Frames 197-200
©Henrietta M. Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment