Saturday, August 17, 2013

Catalina Jurado ~ 1767 Will

Know ye all who may see this last and final will that I, Catalina Jurado, a resident of the locality of our Lady of Guadalupe, legitimate daughter of Juan Jurado and Rosa Misquia, deceased; being as I am sick in bed and of an illness I make my last will and testament.

I declare to have been married according to the rights of the holy church to Bentura Mestas, in which matrimony we had a reared two children, Antonia already deceased and Juan Ygnacio whom I declare as my legitimate children.

I declare that when I married Bentura, I did not bring anything to his possession.

I declare as my property a pair of coral bracelets which I bequeath to a little girl I have reared, called Catalina, in the same way a thin green silk petticoat, a green skirt with silver trimmings; a shell necklace, a reliquary set in silver, red scarf, two half silk handkerchiefs, a red taffeta belt, a white rosary, with small medals and eight cows which my husband will give her as executor for it is my will they be given to her.

I declare that to my grandchild Maria Rosa be given my red veil, my pearl drop earrings, a free reliquary set in silver and a red scarf.

I declare that to my other grandchild, called Antonia, I leave the mantilla and the black skirts with it silver garnishing and a reliquary set in silver.

I declare that all the rest of my property such as clothing and jewels which I have for my use, I leave to my husband Bentura so that he may dispose of them at his will.

I declare that all the property known as field property or ranches of land, herds, mares and horses and some mules, cows and burros, belong to my grandchildren; and have been given to them for breeding purposes. Do not take them away from them and of the residual half is mine and there are no other heir except my husband and son Juan Ignacio.

I declare Juan Martin two hunting knives I order them collected.

I declare Paulin Abeyta owes me for one pound of chocolate, I order it collected.

I declare that Jose Antonio Naranjo owes me for one pound of chocolate, I order it collected.

I declare to have given don Joaquin del Pino, eight pairs of woolen socks and a pair of gloves.

I declare not to owe anybody anything.

I declare leaving to our Lady of Carmen, a vara of cloth ribbon and one vara of red ribbon, it is my wish that they be given to her.

I name as my executors in the first place my husband, Bentura de Mestas, who is the only executor I leave, in order that after my death he will receive and collect within the term prescribed by law the most needed.

On the 31st day of the month of January the year 1767 the said Alcalde Mayor and Capt. of War of this jurisdiction, don Manuel Garcia Paraje and I, said Alcalde Mayor say I am in the presence of grantor as executor of this instrument I interpose my authority as much as I can and am permitted in law and I attest that I know the grantor and in the same way that she is of sound and complete judgment. Not knowing how to sign I said Alcalde Mayor signed with my assisting witness for want of two notaries within the distance prescribed by law, executed on said day, month and year. Signed Manuel Garcia Paraje, rubric

Witnesses: Pedro Antonio Martin, (rubric)
Juan José Bustos, (rubric)

Note: I send my grandchild Antonia, a pair of coral bracelets mixed with pearls and a little rosette in silver, I order they be given to her.

References:  Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Series I, Twitchell #419, Reel 3, Frame 205-208
©Henrietta M. Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment