Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Maria de la Candelaria Gonzales ~ Will 1750



I, Maria de la Candelaria Gonzales, resident of Santa Fe, widow of Manuel Trujillo, of which married we had two daughters, and whom I leave as my only heirs. The estate shall be equally divided with the understanding that they will pay all my bequests and the debts caused by my deceased husband.

I leave my son, Fernandes Romero, as my executor and caretaker of my property until my daughter Martina Trujillo shall marry.

I leave as my property on ranch which I have at the upper part of the river is this villa and it may divide between my two daughters, Maria Francisca and Marcela.

It is my last will that my sister, Antonia Gonzales, shall be given one piece of land in said ranch from the lands above the wheat acequia as far as the upper acequia.

Because I raised him since his birth, it is my last will that Ascencio Antonio Trujillo be given another piece of land from the wheat acequia as far as the upper acequia.

It is my last will that one small Indian girl that I won, named Maria Josefa, shall be free because she has served me faithfully and that she remain with my daughter Maria Francisca, so that my said daughter shall take care of and attend her as if she were her mother.

It is my last will that one small Indian, whose name is Acencio Montaño, shall likewise remain with my daughter Marcela Antonia.

I leave my daughter Marcela one old kettle.

I leave my daughter, Marcela one new skirt of blue serge and one cedar chest with a key.

I leave my said daughter a statue of St. Antonio.

I leave my daughter one blanket.

I leave my married daughter, one cloak, without fringe and a statue of Nuestra Señora del Pilar and one of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios painted on board.

From one piece of land obtained through royal grant given our deceased mother, Michaela Basquez, by the Alcalde of the villa, don Jose de Bustamante, who partitioned it among seven brothers and sisters, I leave my two daughters what belongs to me so that they may divide it into equal parts.

I leave one brown cotton mattress to my sister Antonia.

I leave one ox so that a habit of our Father St. Francis may be purchased.

Payment shall be made to don Juan Jose one pack mule and 50 pesos… my deceased husband remained owning (torn).

My said daughter, Marcela Antonia shall remain under the care and protection of her sister, Maria Francisca until she marries.  Signed Jose de Bustamante y Tagle (rubric), Witnesses:  Lucas Moya, Thomas Casillas, year of 1750.

Note:  The will is dated 1753 in yet another spot, but she passed away on April 20, 1751 in Santa Fe.  Since the will was done in 1750, she might have just been very ill. 

References: Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Twitchell 344, Reel 1, Frames 890-893
©Henrietta M. Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment