Descendants of Nicolas Jose Montoya
1. Nicolas Jose Montoya, son of Antonio Lorenso Montoya and Ana Maria Chavez, was born circa 1777. Nicolas married Maria Antonia Baca, daughter of Miguel Hermengildo Baca and Maria de Los Reyes Padilla, on Aug 2, 1800 in Jemez Mission, New Mexico.1
Children from this marriage were:
F i. Maria Dolores Montoya was born circa Apr 1804 in Jemez Mission, New Mexico.2
M ii. Jose Burgos Montoya3 was born circa 1808 in New Mexico.
General Notes: Baptized a child in Cochiti on June 13 1839, named him Nicolas Antonio, son of unknown. pad/ Jose de Burgos Montolla and Maria Altagracia Sanchez, from Cubero. pg. 253
He is the padrino for some Cochiti baptisms with a Gregoria Garcia whom he adopted and is his only heir. She ends up with some of the land grant. See baptism of Jose Manuel Apolinario Montoya, pg/ 148, Cochiti Baptisms. I think she's the same as the lady that married Francisco Baca, as the land grant documents show her as Garcia de Baca.
• He appeared on the census in 1850 in Santa Ana County, New Mexico.4 Jose B. Montoya, 42, farmer, RE $1329; Altagracia, 37; Jose Felicano, 18; Filomeno Duran, 20, farmer RE $1329; Nicolas Montoya, 18; Magdalena, 14.
Jose married Maria Altagracia Sanchez. Maria was born circa 1813.
F iii. Maria de la Encarnacion Montoya was born circa Mar 1808 in Jemez Mission, New Mexico.5
Maria married Romualdo Archibeque, son of Pablo Juan Archibeque and Maria Micaela Tafoya,. Romualdo was born circa 1804.
M iv. Jose Manuel Antonio Montoya was born on Jun 1, 1810 in Jemez Mission, New Mexico.6
F v. Maria Teodora Leonarda Montoya was born on Nov 2, 1812 in Cañones, New Mexico.7
F vi. Maria Teresa de Jesus Montoya was born on Jun 23, 1814 in Jemez Mission, New Mexico.8
M vii. Jose Nicolas Montoya was born on Jun 1, 1816 in Jemez Mission, New Mexico.9
M viii. Jose Miguel Antonio Montoya was born on Jun 1, 1818 in Jemes Mission, New Mexico.10
• He appeared on the census in 1850 in Santa Ana County, New Mexico.11 Migl Montoya, 33, farmer, RE $1740; Andrea, 28; Placida, 9; Mariano, 7; Altagracia, 5; Jose Manuel, 3; Jesusa, 1; Juan, 9; Rosa, 20.
Jose married Maria Andrea Baca, daughter of Vicente Baca and Maria Francisca Montoya, after Nov 1841 in Jemez, New Mexico.12 Maria was born about 1826 in New Mexico.
F ix. Maria Damiana Montoya. Maria married Rafael Archuleta, son of Jesus Archuleta and Maria Getrudis Casados, circa 1848.
1. Fray Chavez, New Mexico Roots, Ltd.: A Demographic Perspective from Genealogical, Historical and Geographic Data Found in the Diligencias Matrimoniales (LDS #6051367), Pg. 1293. 1800, Aug. 2 (no. 5), Jemez. Nicolas Jose Montoya (23), son of Lorenzo Montoya and Ana Maria Chaves, and Maria Antonia Baca (16), d. of Miguel Baca and Maria Reyes Padilla. --Witnesses: Felix Lucero (46), Jose Maria Jaramillo (44), Jose Maldonado (48), Jose Miguel Duran (50).
2. Luis Gilberto Padilla y Baca, Libro de Bautismos, Misiónes de los Pueblos, Pg. 129. Bap Apr 22 1804, d/ Jose Nicolas Montoya and Antonia Baca, pad/ Bicente Baca and Reyes Padilla.
3. New Mexico State Records Center and Archives, Santa Fe, NM, Spanish Archives of New Mexico, Reel #24, Frames 396-549. Noted as a brother to Miguel Montoya who in turn was the son of Nicolas Montoya.
4. 1850 Census Santa Ana County, New Mexico, (243), Dwelling/Family 141, Lines 29-34.
5. Luis Gilberto Padilla y Baca, Libro de Bautismos, Misiónes de los Pueblos, Pg. 131. Bap March 29 1808, b. 20th, d/ Jose Montolla and Maria Antonia Baca, pad/ Blas Lopez and Juana Vitoria Baca. .... Archdiocese of Santa Fe, NM, Jemez Baptisms.
6. Luis Gilberto Padilla y Baca, Libro de Bautismos, Misiónes de los Pueblos, Pg. 133. Bap June 4, 1810, b. June 1, s/ Nicolas Jose Montolla and Maria Antonia Baca, pad/ Juan Jose Montolla and Maria Guadalupe Garcia.
7. Archdiocese of Santa Fe, NM, Jemez Baptisms. Bap Nov 6 1812, b. 2nd, d/ Jose Montolla and Maria Antonia Baca, of Cañon, pad/ Salvador Montolla and Maria Getrudis Gonzales of La Majada.
8. Luis Gilberto Padilla y Baca, Libro de Bautismos, Misiónes de los Pueblos, Pg. 141. Bap Jul 8 1814, b. June 23, d/ Jose Montolla and Maria Antonia Baca, pad/ Jose Antonio de los Reyes Montolla, from La Cienega and Manuela Griego of Cañon.
9. Luis Gilberto Padilla y Baca, Libro de Bautismos, Misiónes de los Pueblos, Pg. 145. Bap Jun 13 1816, 12 days old, s/ Jose Montoya and Maria Antonia Baca, pad/ Jose Francisco Armijo and Maria Francisca Gonzales.
10. Archdiocese of Santa Fe, NM, Jemez Baptisms. Bap June 12 1818, 11 days old, s/ don Jose Montoya and doña Maria Antonia Baca, pad/ Miguel Gallego and Maria Manuela Baca.
11. 1850 Census Santa Ana County, New Mexico, (234), Dwelling/Family 133, Lines 1-9.
12. Rick Hendricks and John Colligan, New Mexico Prenuptial Investigations 1800-1893, Pg. 197.
©Henrietta M. Christmas