- Start with the original document and forget
everything else you know.
- When was the document written and remember in
1700 they didn't know about the Surveryor General and the Private Land Claims
- Make sure the translations are good.
- Use the Spanish Archives of New Mexico calendar
first. Or specific indexes by state.
- Use J. J. Bowden material, a 6 volume set.
- Catron Collection at University of New Mexico
will have a file.
- Look at Indian Agent records.
- Family Records.
- Attorney Papers mostly at the State Archives, whom would have handled the cases.
- District Court Cases.
- Organizational Powers of how land grants were granted.
- Find a good map that can show you where it was located.
- Land grantee, their process for obtaining land.
- Types: Individual versus Community Land Grants.
- Adjudication process post US takeover.
- Genealogies of families for several generations.