Monday, February 20, 2012

Zaguans, Carretas and Such


Lately, I've been thinking of putting up some new gates, especially around my garden(s) and so I though looking at some photos of old gates and carretas would be kind of nice. I like to photograph them when I can and have a few really good pictures and some aren't so good, the angles are just weird. But since I live in Corrales and we are an agricultural village, I thought this one from our Old Casa San Ysidro has some character. Now I need to figure out how to incorporate that into a gate(s). The carreta they have on site is pretty cool too, but I need gates before carts.

For those who don't know what a zaguan is, it is the opening of the gate between the house/courtyard and large enough to let animals come through in case of a dire need. Usually feels like walking through a large hallway. There is one at Casa Sena from the sidewalk into the placita in Santa Fe. As you can see from this picture, it is a double gated version, for people the smaller opening, which is what you can see open in the photo and then the larger opening would be for animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment